**** DONE: GB-53 1/48 Morane-Saulnier MS 410 - Eastern Front

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Some improvements to the nose.
The first picture shows the two side intakes, the one on the right un-modified and the one on the left after being hollowed out.
The second picture shows both hollowed out and a third intake drilled out on the right.

P1013623.JPG
P1013624.JPG

This gun bulge is correct for the MS 406 but not the MS 410 which had the single drum fed gun replaced with two belt fed guns with no wing bulge, so these will Have to be removed.

P1013625.JPG

This sequence of 3 pictures shows the rather strange engineering of this kit. Part of the sides of the fuselage is molded with the wing bottom which is then mostly but not totally covered up by the wing root fairing. I just don't understand why it was done this way, it just makes a difficult seam to deal with.

P1013627.JPG
P1013628.JPG
P1013629.JPG

Taking off those gun bulges and filling them turned out to be a lot of work done over several days. The gaps left by the removal were huge. I wish I had taken a picture of them but did not. The gaps were filled by first backing them with card stock then filling in with more card stock cut in strips to fill the opening. Rough filing followed by filling with CA. More filing then wet sanding with 600 grit. I still have to drill out the openings for the new guns.

P1013630.JPG
P1013631.JPG

Motivation has been lacking as of late but I've managed to get some time in on this one over the last couple of days.

The cockpit put together and painted. Nothing specular here as not much can be seen through the canopy but I did add the harness made up of wine bottle foil

20220505_174045.jpg

I added the lower panels to the main control panel. The rest is paint
20220505_174154.jpg

Fuselage halves joined, The fit here wasn't bad and only required minimal work to smooth out.

20220505_204905.jpg

Panel and cockpit installed and wings joined to the fuselage. The fit around the nose is not great and is going to take some work. With the main components together I think there is still a chance I may complete it in the time remaining, which is more than I could have said a couple of days ago'

20220505_211829.jpg

This one had a rather complicated camo scheme so I'll have to push it to get ready for the paint.
With the standard two color top plus the yellow plus the winter white things could get confusing, so after studying contemporary photos I've come up with this painting plan. When doing complicated schemes like this I find it helps quite a bit and tends to prevent mistakes.
I will be working out another one when it comes to doing the winter white camo.

Untitled.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back