**** DONE: GB-61 1/48 Hawker Sea Fury FB.11 – Carrier and Maritime Aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks for calling in gents. Things have really moved today and I'm almost ready to do the masking needed and slap on some primer. Here is were she stands.

20240331 1.JPG

:D

Thanks gents, you're all too kind. Over the past week I've not been able to get much done, I was hoping to get the sky on the model but the last couple of days have been much too wet to even contemplate a little spray job as I need open the garage doors for ventilation and with a wind blowing and it raining, one gets a fine mist floating through. What time I had though was not lost and my pottering resulted in the following:

A base coat applied with some aluminium in the areas that matter and a bit of pre-shading.
20240406 1.JPG

A bunch of 3 inch rockets assembled and part painted, need to sort the retaining brackets and apply decals, if I can find them.
20240406 3.JPG

A little extra detail added to the wing fold area, still needs painting and a little bet more refining.
20240406 2.JPG

:D

Looking good Vic.

Concerning the RP's - I'd need to check if those on the Sea Fury were "wired" the same, but on the WW2 fit on, for example, the Typhoon and Beaufighter, the firing wires, known as "pigtails", hung from the rear of each rocket motor, and had a ceramic connector plug on the end. These plugs were only attached to the under wing sockets when the aircraft was ready to take off.
I'd guess that the system would be the same during the period of use of the Sea Fury, given the RP type and launch rail design, but I could be wrong.

Looking good Vic.

Concerning the RP's - I'd need to check if those on the Sea Fury were "wired" the same, but on the WW2 fit on, for example, the Typhoon and Beaufighter, the firing wires, known as "pigtails", hung from the rear of each rocket motor, and had a ceramic connector plug on the end. These plugs were only attached to the under wing sockets when the aircraft was ready to take off.
I'd guess that the system would be the same during the period of use of the Sea Fury, given the RP type and launch rail design, but I could be wrong.
Thanks Terry. I have been looking and looking for info on this and have found plenty of rockets with the pig tails and plenty without but nothing specific to the Sea Fury, so I have just taken the plunge. I know the pigtail came out of the rocket back -end and my logic told me it would connect to the rocket rail. How wrong was my logic. I will continue to do some looking. :thumbright::D

Have just found this little beaut pic of an 805 Squadron Sea Fury with pigtails.

20240215 5.jpg

Korea Naval Airmen R Miller, of Melbourne, and K Pascoe, of Goff's Harbour, NSW, affix a 60 lb rocket projectile to a Sea Fury aircraft of 805 Squadron on HMAS SYDNEY (Source the net). :thumbright::D

Many thanks for the kind words gent. Again I have been a'pottering had to do a bit of respray for when I was brushing on a bit of sealer, the paint just seemed to dissolve. I have done some fiddly detailing paintwork and proper pig tailing on the rockets and started with there decalling. While I was doing this, I had a visitor................................

DSCN0477.JPG

I quickly showed it where the tradesman's entrance was and he seemed quite happy with this. :lol::lol::lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back