eBay: Handley Page Hampden

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

You know how one of the knocks on the airplane was the inability of the crew to change positions? I think that might be a fallacy, judging from the pictures I have seen. Perhaps bulked up with all their flight gear?

Beute captured

1664536684227.png

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
You know how one of the knocks on the airplane was the inability of the crew to change positions? I think that might be a fallacy, judging from the pictures I have seen. Perhaps bulked up with all their flight gear?
Here is a diagram of the internals of the Hampden. While some crew movement fore and aft might be possible I'm not sure there is enough room for two crew dressed in all their bulky flying gear to pass each other in the narrow fuselage.

28687315935_9e92a0887c_z.jpg

So the navigator can slide aft and up, under the pilot's cockpit floor to reach the seat under the Sextant hatch and on top of main wing hatch. But I think that the diagram gives a misleading impression of just how wide the fuselage was. See this Canadian site for some of the wartime interior shots.

The fuselage was only about 3ft wide at most. The radio gesr took up most ofvthe width of the fuselage and it was 2.5ft wide. This comment was made on another site about swapping crew members.

"Switching pilots in-flight was difficult or impossible in Hampdens.
I read a biography of a Hampden pilot who was the smallest in his class (think jockey). During Hampden conversion training he partnered with the skinniest pilot in his class and they were the only two who could swap out in flight."

There are also photos about on the net showing the Hampden being rebuilt at the RAF Museum at Cosford that show just how narrow that fuselage was.

Beute captured

View attachment 689156

Beute captured

1666522102952.png

raf 408 sqn syerston Hampden photographs F/O COLLIS intelligence

EQ-O EQ-K EQ-W

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Handley Page Hampden Mk1 44 Squadron Royal Air Force 44 Sqn RAF X2996
Shot down by AA over Berlin. There is a short video of wreckage being recovered by the Germans on THE WORLD AT WAR : BOMBING GERMANY. This has also appeared in colour in the WORLD WAR 2 IN COLOUR TV series.
Crew:-
Pilot : F/O Reginald Derek Perkins RAF 41201 [Killed]
Obs : Sgt John Gordon William Maybury RAF 580719 [Killed]
W/Op/AG : Sgt Joseph Donald Green RAF 551605 [Killed]
W/Op/AG : Sgt Thomas William Hawxby RAF 638754 [Killed]

Dahlem (Berlin)

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

1. Orig. Foto Wrack englische RAF Hampden Flugzeug "X2996" in BERLIN Dahlem 1940 | eBay
  2. Orig. Foto Wrack englische RAF Hampden Flugzeug "X2996" in BERLIN Dahlem 1940 | eBay
  3. Orig. Foto Wrack englische RAF Hampden Flugzeug "X2996" in BERLIN Dahlem 1940 | eBay
  4. Orig. Foto Wrack englische RAF Hampden Flugzeug "X2996" in BERLIN Dahlem 1940 | eBay

Last edited:
Handley Page Hampden Mk.I P1333 ( EA-F ) of 49 Squadron, RAF Scampton. Lost on combat operations on 17/8/1940 when crash-landed on returning from a raid on Merseburg, Germany. Took off from RAF Scampton at 22:30 on 16/8/40, and came down at Alphen, Noord-Brabant, near Breda, Netherlands at 03:30 LT. All four crew on board survived, and were taken as PoWs:

Pilot Sgt. M.G.P Stretton RAF Survived POW
Navigator Sgt. C.H. Butcher RAF Survived POW
W/Op AG AC.2 F.H. Lindesay RAF Survived POW
W/Op AG Sgt. K.N. Farrow RAF Survived POW

1688120138852.png

1688120151541.png

1688120162014.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back