Engineman's WW2 Aircraft Parts Quiz!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It is very fortunate with this prototype Jumo 222 engine piston that they stamped all the data on the top of the piston because, on normal production pistons the data is stamped on the base of the gudgeon pin (wrist pin) boss's where the metal is thick. With this particular piston being cut into an ashtray, that would have been lost. TBH, I do not actually know if the piston was cut in Germany or the USA, it might just have been done in Germany at Junkers as a momento when the prototype development was scrapped and someone wanted a relic ashtray? Whatever, I was told that it was taken back to USA by an engineer at the end of the war. If anyone has other Jumo 222 bits, give me a call!

Eng

Its interesting about the mirrored exhaust valve relief in the piston. It initially made me think I was looking at a 2 valve head piston. 2 Valve Automotive Pistons usually have the relief size the same as the largest valve (Intake) due to the same reasons.

Thanks for posting it, it was a fun use of an hour or so of web time!

And now, for something completely different..!
No clues to start with. I will let this one run slower, so don't expect hot reply's.

Eng

Attachments

• 04_2917.jpg
    04_2917.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 11
It is a hollow tube with a airflow profiled front plate. Nothing in it, but there was something serious in there when fitted.

Eng

Yes, Good thinking Tomo.
So, this item was from a dump where they scrapped thousands of aircraft post-war. There is material still out there as some sites really were "dumps", but not in great condition now and I doubt that there are major aircraft parts. But there is some stuff. Anyway, that Blast tube is the real thing and is 100% condition.

Eng

Throttle butterfly?
In the ballpark Tomo, but this one needs some deductions..
I got this on ebay years ago as a straight sale with no info what it is. So, what is it? Would you buy it folks?

Attachments

• 07_2923.jpg
    07_2923.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 3
Oh wow, another picture but I can't quite make the numbers out?

Attachments

• 09_2922.jpg
    09_2922.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
So it looks like Tomo and special ed are interested in this piece? Maybe they would bid? This is all I had to go on, and the pics were less clear than these, if only that number had been clearer! It certainly is an airflow control butterfly valve but, it is not a carburettor and the size is over 4in dia. Does it look like any German WK2 Luftwaffe engine induction pipe we know? I thought it looked familiar, so I looked at a few German aero engine pics online..

Anyone guess?

Eng

Users who are viewing this thread

Back