F4U-4 Corsair contribution in WW2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Old Crow

Airman
Mar 4, 2016
I've been wondering if anybody out there has any stats on the F4U-4 during WW2 as far as sorties flown, total kills (land based and carrier), bomb tonnage dropped etc. Thanks!

Somebody might have something. But we mostly discuss the P-39 here.

/s
Go brush your teeth. And stand in the naughty corner.

1696694323694.png

I've been wondering if anybody out there has any stats on the F4U-4 during WW2 as far as sorties flown, total kills (land based and carrier), bomb tonnage dropped etc. Thanks!
There should be the USN statistical paper (that name escapes me) for the ww2 air combat, including kills/losses etc.

There should be the USN statistical paper (that name escapes me) for the ww2 air combat, including kills/losses etc.
This the one Tomo? No need to look at British records as they never flew F4U-4 during the war. CASPIR Vought Corsair

"The Royal Navy initially received 95 "birdcage" F4U-1s from Vought which were designated Corsair Mk. I in Fleet Air Arm service. Next from Vought came 510 "blown-canopy" F4U-1A/-1Ds, which were designated Corsair Mk. II (the final 150 equivalent to the F4U-1D, but not separately designated in British use). 430 Brewster Corsairs (334 F3A-1 and 96 F3A-1D), more than half of Brewster's total production, were delivered to Britain as the Corsair Mk. III. 857 Goodyear Corsairs (400 FG-1/-1A and 457 FG-1D) were delivered and designated Corsair Mk. IV. The Mk. IIs and Mk. IVs were the only versions to be used in combat."

Attachments

• U.S. Navy Aviation Statistics.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 28
That one breaks out the stats by aircraft model, but not by dash numbers. The only airplane tracked separately was the FM versus the F4F, and there is no reason for that. Both were Wildcats. Ditto the Corsair. The F4U-4 belongs with the rest of the Corsairs.

According to Dean in America's Hundred Thousand, "June 22, 1945 MAG-14 with F4U-4's scores its ninth and last victory. Twelve F4U squadrons have shot down a total of 436 enemy aircraft." On September 2, 1945 VJ Day, he states three carriers headed to the area with F4U-4's are the Intrepid, Boxer and Antietam. Obviously the F4U-4's on these three carriers had no impact so are we to assume that 9 kills is it for the F4u-4?

If i remember right it's available online somewhere the equipment on the us navy squadron a near monthly report

According to Dean in America's Hundred Thousand, "June 22, 1945 MAG-14 with F4U-4's scores its ninth and last victory. Twelve F4U squadrons have shot down a total of 436 enemy aircraft." On September 2, 1945 VJ Day, he states three carriers headed to the area with F4U-4's are the Intrepid, Boxer and Antietam. Obviously the F4U-4's on these three carriers had no impact so are we to assume that 9 kills is it for the F4u-4?
For the final carrier operations against Japan in June-Aug 1945 the following carriers had F4U-4 squadrons aboard:-

Hancock VF-6 & VBF-6
Intrepid VF-10 & VBF-10 (hit Wake Is on 6th Aug en route to join TF38)
Wasp VBF-86
Lexington VBF-94

En route were
Antietam VBF-89
Boxer VBF-93

USMC Air Groups on Okinawa with F4U-4 were (others were F4U-1 / FG-1 equipped.
MAG-14 comprising VMF-212,222,223

F4U-4 were beginning to appear In replacement carrier air groups working up.

If i remember right it's available online somewhere the equipment on the us navy squadron a near monthly report
They can be found here

1942 reports are less accurate than later years.

The massive U.S. Naval Aviation Statistical Analysis (c. December '45) used to be online, have not checked in quite awhile because I have a well-thumbed print copy. The aircraft stats do not break out models of major types: just F4U, SBD, PBY, etc.

Using the late-great Frank Olynyk's USN and USMC victory credits volumes (privately printed, not available) it should be possible to derive F4U-4 stats based on known dash-four squadrons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back