Fw 189-A

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hate shrinkage from solvent putty that's any thicker than a skim coat. So I got pretty used to the green stuff epoxy that shapes really well with a bit of water. For the Vallejo putty, is that the tube or the thick stuff from the bottle?

That gap did look bigger though: putty may just work. Been more a fan of Gunze white, since Squadron White is no more:grumpy:
The Vallejo tube, as I understand it is the same as is in the bottle. Tends to shrink with deep applications. Great for touchups.

Well, going with what I got. Almost too many mismatches and gaps to try and fix in a reasonable time; GB58 knocking. Not sure my skill level would ever make this build one that would meet todays kit standards? Yeah, I'm spoiled!! Primer on and showing the warts. The canopy glass fittings are a disaster (probably the main reason for my wanting to just move on). I still have the landing bits to clean up and attach, props and 'break-offs', but will be out of action for probably another week (hopefully the left eye fix will have settled down in a week or so and the right eye starts to behave as well). But, here is what I got. The trailing wing edge is 'OK', looks stepped, but some of that is thin primer not covering material to filler color changes.

With a bit of camo color and placed a little higher on the shelving, it will be a unique one to have done. I will be on the lookout for a larger scale, more quality kit to do another 189-A

Fw 189-A primer port f.jpg

Fw 189-A primer port r.jpg

Fw 189-A primer SB f.jpg

Fw 189-A primer SB r.jpg

Last edited:
Good effort Ralph and a shame about the canopy fittings and it's not an easy kit to master. I built a Great Wall Hobby kit back in GB23 with a lot of extras, it was fun but a not so easy build. :D

Considering the low quality of the kit as a starting point I think you have done exceedingly well with this one Ralph. I'm keen to see how this one turns out once you get the final coats done. Keep up the great work!

I see. Just asked because the RLM71 was a quite dark grey green paint. Are you sure you used the correct number of the Vallejo paint? IMHO it looks like you used the RLM81 or something like that.

valejjo RLM71.png

valejjo RLM81.jpg

the source: the net.

I see. Just asked because the RLM71 was a quite dark grey green paint. Are you sure you used the correct number of the Vallejo paint? IMHO it looks like you used the RLM81 or something like that.

View attachment 717608

View attachment 717621
Eyesite getting better not worse 🤔Unless someone mislabeled the bottle or filled a correctly labeled one with the wrong color, I'm sure I have it correct. After the RLM 70 goes on. to give some contrast, it may look better. It may not look right solo.

Eyesite getting better not worse 🤔Unless someone mislabeled the bottle or filled a correctly labeled one with the wrong color, I'm sure I have it correct. After the RLM 70 goes on. to give some contrast, it may look better. It may not look right solo.

OK. No problem. Just the colour looks quite strange. :)

OK. No problem. Just the colour looks quite strange. :)
A technical challenge to say the least. Never one to disappoint, here is another stab at color correction. You should approve of
this one? I'll be more mindful in the future, always a mistake to rely on the computer to do what is correct.

You really have touched on a good point though. Many times I have reviewed postings of builds and commented to myself "what the heck color is that?". Maybe an incorrect choice by the builder OR that darn computer again? I myself will try and post with 'acceptable' color renditions in the future.

Thanks. You are always good for a nudge in the right direction.

Fw 189-A RLM 71 port balanced.jpg
valejjo-rlm71-png.png

A technical challenge to say the least. Never one to disappoint, here is another stab at color correction. You should approve of
this one? I'll be more mindful in the future, always a mistake to rely on the computer to do what is correct.

You really have touched on a good point though. Many times I have reviewed postings of builds and commented to myself "what the heck color is that?". Maybe an incorrect choice by the builder OR that darn computer again? I myself will try and post with 'acceptable' color renditions in the future.

Thanks. You are always good for a nudge in the right direction.

View attachment 717636View attachment 717637

That's fine. The Vallejo colours aren't too accurate in their tinge often. They seem to be darker than these should be. IMHO it is because of the suggested techinique the paints are going to be applied with. The web is full of many different scans of the colour released by the different manufactures. Here is the scanned chip of the MIG paint that is quite close to the RLM71 tone.

rlm71_b.jpg

However the RLM71 was identified as a colour of a couple of tones. The FS 34083, 34079, 34102. As you may notice the Vallejo samples found in the net look almost the same.

rlm71_a.jpg

The LW colours from the L.Dv. 521/1 instruction released in 1938.

L.-Dv.521-11938.jpg

the source: RLM 83: il colore misterioso della Luftwaffe - Verde9.com

and here the addtion to the L.Dv. 521/1 from 1941

LDv521_1_1941-rotated.jpg

the source: RLM: i colori della Luftwaffe - lista completa - Verde9.com

and the next one ..
L.-Dv.521-11941a.jpg

That's fine. The Vallejo colours aren't too accurate in their tinge often. They seem to be darker than these should be. IMHO it is because of the suggested techinique the paints are going to be applied with. The web is full of many different scans of the colour released by the different manufactures. Here is the scanned chip of the MIG paint that is quite close to the RLM71 tone.

View attachment 717658

However the RLM71 was identified as a colour of a couple of tones. The FS 34083, 34079, 34102. As you may notice the Vallejo samples found in the net look almost the same.

View attachment 717659

The LW colours from the L.Dv. 521/1 instruction released in 1938.

View attachment 717660
the source: RLM 83: il colore misterioso della Luftwaffe - Verde9.com

and here the addtion to the L.Dv. 521/1 from 1941

View attachment 717663
the source: RLM: i colori della Luftwaffe - lista completa - Verde9.com

and the next one ..
View attachment 717662
Overwhelming. Certainly for the purist, say looking for museum level builds, this is something that would need to be considered. But for me, if I'm close within the color spectrum's, then I'm good. Just need to be sure that I publish the correct colors; as painted and as seen on the screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back