Galland's Bf 109s

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Chris, Gallands 68th victory was in F-2 W.Nr.5776, shortly after he was shot down and crash landed the aircraft. the other F series victories i'm not sure yet which aircraft he was flying.

I was actually referring to Wotan's image and was wondering if Galland had come across Blenheims in the Emil. I was thinking '41 when he most definately would have had the Friedrich but the site from herman shows he claimd Blenheims in early '40 so Wotan's pic can be represenative of an action by Galland.

Excellent, depicted in the correct colours and sequence, to be truely accurate the first vertical row should start approximately 1 row out from where you have shown it, all 10 rows should fit within the yellow line as I have shown, when repainted on the yellow rudder they were re done slightly closer together than before the repaint.

Thank you very much, but this is impossible because of the size of the skin. the distance between the "beams" will not be smooth. (smooth, uniform? sorry :oops:)

I was actually referring to Wotan's image and was wondering if Galland had come across Blenheims in the Emil. I was thinking '41 when he most definately would have had the Friedrich but the site from herman shows he claimd Blenheims in early '40 so Wotan's pic can be represenative of an action by Galland.
Thank you, I know that he was not shot down, so in Russian, I call this picture "не засчитали...." )))) http://www.sukhoi.ru/forum/showthread.php?t=67917&page=53&p=1731809&viewfull=1#post1731809
I do not know as such term will be in English.... "have not confirmed the victory...", "Haven't included...",
"not counted...."? :)

again sorry for my bad English

Hi Wayne,

good research about the "two colours" victory markings; I think these two colours were probably used to distinguish kills gained on that very plane (black) from those gained on different planes (red). See the kill board on Bf109F W.Nr.6714: all the bars were red apart the last two (black).
Flavio

Hi Wayne,

good research about the "two colours" victory markings; I think these two colours were probably used to distinguish kills gained on that very plane (black) from those gained on different planes (red). See the kill board on Bf109F W.Nr.6714: all the bars were red apart the last two (black).
Flavio

Hi Flavio, yes the Red and Black were definitely used, and you are correct with 6714 as 59 and 60 were scored in this aircraft as were 61,62,63 and 66 all black while the following were Red 64 and 65 were in E-7 5819, 67 I don't know and 68 was F-2, 5776 and 69 in F-2 6713 both these aircraft were lost in combat after the victories. the colour sequence can be easily distinguished from a tail shot inside a hangar.

I agree with you Wayne.

At this point we can say that Galland used a "colour code" for his kill markings; if really so, he gained only victories number 92, 93 and 94 flying WNr.6750, while Bf109E "<<+I" with 22 kill markings was indeed his first Bf109 WNr.936, used by Galland at Stab JG 27 and carried with him when he was promoted at the head of III./JG 26.

Flavio

Galland 109 6750.jpg
Galland 109 936.jpg

Hi Again Flavio, yes that would be the case with 6750 scoring those 3 victories, I wonder then if the other specially armed 109 with the cowl bulges actually scored any victories? This would then change the colour sequence before no.92....

see my build of 6750 in Group Build 11#

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/11-aircraft-aces/finished-bf109f-2-u-special-adolf-galland-aircraft-aces-gb-30849.html

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/11-aircraft-aces/done-bf109f-2-u-special-adolf-galland-aircraft-aces-gb-29920.html

Now the other aircraft you mention... I am less sure on the identity of this and the other early 109's I do find the colour sequence puzzling of Black then Red..i need to review the early machines to get things straight..

5819 initially had what appears to be a correct colour sequence with the first 30 Red and then Black and Red victories, then for some odd reason when it was reapplied on the Lt. Blue background the victories were in an incorrect sequence of 22 Red followed by 23-40 in Black with the exception of 36-37 in Red, this was in place for some time before it was then corrected again with the painting of the yellow rudder in late Nov. or early Dec, returning the first 30 victories to Red.

Hello,

Sorry but my English language is poor.. :(
Just a question regarding w.nr.5819... Do I understand that w.nr.5819 was RLM71-02-65 camo scheme from early Sept.1940 to Dec.1940 and repainted RLM74/75 early in 1941 ?
I've heard somewhere on the web that galland 5819 was already originally in RLM74/75 but I though it was early for this camo scheme during September 1940...

TIA :)

Hello,

Sorry but my English language is poor.. :(
Just a question regarding w.nr.5819... Do I understand that w.nr.5819 was RLM71-02-65 camo scheme from early Sept.1940 to Dec.1940 and repainted RLM74/75 early in 1941 ?
I've heard somewhere on the web that galland 5819 was already originally in RLM74/75 but I though it was early for this camo scheme during September 1940...

TIA :)

Fairly certain Galland's 5819 was in 71/02/65 with densely mottled fuselage until late Nov or early Dec 1940 then a change occurred. The fuselage pattern was redone and much less dense and the wing pattern altered slightly. Personally I think it still retained the 71/02/65 scheme.
The often quoted number of repaints were more likely to do with the fact that Galland used more than one aircraft during this time frame and these additional aircraft were thought to be 5819, 5966 is one in particular that was identified as 5819 in many publications. So differing camo was thought to be repaints...in my opinion.

Here are a few more. Not sure if I posted these already.

Also gathering some pics with Galland's Seibel and a Bf 109 with his emblem but unsure if ts his.

Attachments

• 1-Bf-109E-III_JG26-(+I-Adolf-Galland-France-Aug-1940-02.jpg
    1-Bf-109E-III_JG26-(+I-Adolf-Galland-France-Aug-1940-02.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 259
  • Adolph Galland with his ground crew chief UnterOffizier Meyer.jpg
    Adolph Galland with his ground crew chief UnterOffizier Meyer.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 906
  • gallandstbdcockpit.jpg
    gallandstbdcockpit.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 281
  • Shooting-2.jpg
    Shooting-2.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 292
  • Shooting-3.jpg
    Shooting-3.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 281
Hi Njaco, nice pics. Didn't have the last two, thanks for sharing. ;)

I found a few of Galland's Siebel Fh 104 at FalkeEins' blog:

galland.jpg

siebel+fh+104Gall.jpg

galland_09x01.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back