GB 29 - Feb 1st-Jun 5th 2016....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
GB 29 - Feb 1st- Sunday Jun 5th 2016:
Allied Advance and Defense of the Reich WWII.
Taking in all fronts following the allied invasion across the channel, up through Italy and across from Eastern Europe.

Think that I'll bring out my Airfix 1/24 Hawker Typhoon for this one!

Yip, me think that it's a definite possibility for that...!

Airfix 24 scale Hawker Typhoon.jpg

I'm thinking time to get back to Fw190 type aircraft A or D series...or even a Ta152....plenty of time to decide...maybe even TWO!

A primary candidate is likely an Fw190A-8 with Wfr.Gr.21 Rockets of 3/JGr.10 "Black 6"

Probably a Jg 301 Fw 190 A8 for me.

And if i can con someone into having a go at printing decals for me i may do Karger's Dollie/Cathy Mae, P-51 D flown by our very own bobbysocks's father Dale .E Kager of 364th fs 357th fg.

Have the art work, any voluteers ?

soule01.jpg

soule02.jpg

Last edited:
Hey all. I have a Hasegawa 1:48 Hurricane IIc that I want to build for this one. I understand that 1697 Air Letter Dispatch Service flew IIc's with important mail etc back and forth across the channel on and after d day and one ship anyway, MW367 had a full set of invasion stripes applied to the fuselage.

It wasn't combat missions but it was on and off of the continent with d day markings. Does she apply for this build.

Here is one fellas interpretive build.

a_DSC4461_zpsf6nc3egp.jpg

a_DSC4476_zpsxbyrlj5k.jpg

I have started searching for actual photos and if anyone feels inclined to help out that would be cool. It would be really nice to have an actual photo of this or any other IIc that carried stripes that I could do my model in. My collection could use a Hurricane and this would be a bit different than most.

Thanks,

jeff

Last edited:
Once again the photo king comes through for his subjects. Many thanks good sire.

Excellent. Shows wing stripes as well and NO squadron codes. I have managed to source some underwing pods out of my 1:48 Hobby Craft Hurricane II kit.

Jeff

Last edited:
Interesting that the squadron codes seem to have been edited out of the pics.
You can see some on birds in the background and the pic with the motorcycle and sidecar in though !

There are some in those pics Karl. I wonder if the pictures without the codes were taken earlier and they had been painted over originally and then added back later. If they have been edited out then the editor did a pretty good job, much better than what I usually see in wartime editing pictures.

I know it can be tough determining colours and shading and stuff but it appears to me that these photos are not all taken on the same day as the drop tanks appear to be different. ie: picture 2 the drop tank appears to be whit while in picture 5 it appears much darker.

Thoughts anyone?

Jan, I would really love to see that build.

Jeff, the eligibility of that kit would works for me.

Karl, I've never been 100% happy with how my home-made decals come out but would be prepared to give your project a go. If you want to send me what you have as a file, feel free.

Myself, I'm looking forward to this build and have lots of possibilities:

Bf109G-14 Hasegawa
Bf109K-4 Hasegawa
FW190A-5 "Special" Dragon
FW190A-8 Eduard
Spitfire MkIXe Eduard
Spitfire MkXVI ICM
Ta152H-1 DML
Tempest MkV Eduard
Typhoon MkIb Hasegawa (2)

Will definitely do a late war LW bird, probably the Ta152 first and possibly one of the 2 Tiffies in the stash in Canadian markings.

Jan, I would really love to see that build.

Jeff, the eligibility of that kit would works for me.

Karl, I've never been 100% happy with how my home-made decals come out but would be prepared to give your project a go. If you want to send me what you have as a file, feel free.

Myself, I'm looking forward to this build and have lots of possibilities:

Bf109G-14 Hasegawa
Bf109K-4 Hasegawa
FW190A-5 "Special" Dragon
FW190A-8 Eduard
Spitfire MkIXe Eduard
Spitfire MkXVI ICM
Ta152H-1 DML
Tempest MkV Eduard
Typhoon MkIb Hasegawa (2)

Will definitely do a late war LW bird, probably the Ta152 first and possibly one of the 2 Tiffies in the stash in Canadian markings.

Will do just that Andy, thanks !

And, do the tempest, do the tempest, do the tempest ! :lol:

There are some in those pics Karl. I wonder if the pictures without the codes were taken earlier and they had been painted over originally and then added back later. If they have been edited out then the editor did a pretty good job, much better than what I usually see in wartime editing pictures.

I know it can be tough determining colours and shading and stuff but it appears to me that these photos are not all taken on the same day as the drop tanks appear to be different. ie: picture 2 the drop tank appears to be whit while in picture 5 it appears much darker.

Thoughts anyone?

I would say the pictures no.3 and 4 were taken with using of a colour filter. The first and the second image seems to be taken without the correction.
The enlarged second shot reveals that the individual letter wasn't the "B". Rather it was the "F" or "E".
The third and the fourth image show that there was the "D" letter , either overpainted or censored at the black strip , applied. Of course it isn't sure these images were taken at the same time ( day ). Also the ground of the parking area looks different. However the serial starts with MW letters. It is possible the plane might be taken over from another unit and then the new code letters were painted on the strips. The censorship is very possible too.

large1.jpg

large2.jpg

large2a.jpg

MkVc_a.jpg

MkVc_b.jpg

I would say the pictures no.3 and 4 were taken with using of a colour filter. The first and the second image seems to be taken without the correction.
The enlarged second shot reveals that the individual letter wasn't the "B". Rather it was the "F" or "E".
The third and the fourth image show that there was the "D" letter , either overpainted or censored at the black strip , applied. Of course it isn't sure these images were taken at the same time ( day ). Also the ground of the parking area looks different. However the serial starts with MW letters. It is possible the plane might be taken over from another unit and then the new code letters were painted on the strips. The censorship is very possible too.

View attachment 307952

View attachment 307953

View attachment 307954

View attachment 307955

View attachment 307956

Good stuff, i wasnt totaly sure of censorship but it does look a little like they were censored.

I did see the codes in the other pics Jeff, i agree with Wojtek that it looks like an F in one pic and maybe a D in the other !

The other choice I have been pondering is my Monogram 1:48 B-17G but I want to do it as a No. 100 Group RAF ship in the electronic jamming and intelligence gathering role. The biggest bit of surgery would be what appears to be a large radar pod under the nose where the chin turret would have been as well as a number of antenna at various locations around the airframe.Does anyone know of a conversion kit that would allow this project to be considered?

Taking a peak around there used to be an English company called Paragon that produced a conversion kit that included radome and all the assorted aerials but they have gone out of business and I cannot find it stocked at any of the bigger hobby shops including Hannants. This B-17 build may be stalled.

Jeff

Last edited:
I think I'm gonna throw a 1/32 scale Dora into this one. Maybe even try some riveting on it just for kicks. I have a Zoukei-Mura Ta-152H in 1/48 that I need to build... but I'm kinda dreading it based on the sole online build that I've read. I don't have the decals for it but I like the look of Black 13 (sorry Jan!).

07afddcd325875442fdb12fa2c185149_zpsrkglt9lo.jpg

I also have a Hase 1/48 109K-4 in my stash and the DML Ju-88G, if I don't throw the 88 into the NF GB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back