GB 36 Dissuscuion - Axis Manufactured Aircraft of WWII.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

T Bolt

Colonel
Mar 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois
With Winter coming and things slowing down for me it looks like I will be jumping in on this one. Lots to choose from in the stash, I pulled down a Italera Ju 87 B2 Stuka today. Not quite decided yet but its in the lead right now.

Italeri 1-48 Stuka.jpg

Not much from me. I went out and bought a 1/72 Airfix Me109. I'm a bit embarrassed about this one, but it will be a challenge to get the RLM colours right, The muffled grey and RLM green is going to be difficult for me as a first timer.

Lordy, I need to get a freakin' move on. Lots a Luftwaffy kits, most to be built as captured. Michael, if you are going to brush paint the mottles, cut down one of your old paint brushes almost to the ferrule, size 0 to 2 and then lightly dry brush the mottle on, slowly building up the colours

Yep, that's the way. Me, I have plenty of opportunities for this one, all 1/48 and I will definitely enter at least one:

Avia B534 Eduard
Bf109G-14 Hasegawa
Bf109K-4 Hasegawa
Bf110G-4 Pro Modeller
Do217E-4 Revell
FW190A-5 "Special" Dragon
FW190A-8 Eduard

I hope to break out of this slump i am in soon.

Got plenty of choice for this build.

3x Bf 109 E-4's
1 x Bf 109 E-3
1 x Bf 109 G-10
1 x Fw 190 A-3 and A-8
1x Ta 152 H-1
1 x Bf 108
Ju 88 A-5
Do17 Z

Might do another of Helmut Wick's 109's or something from Jg 301

Michael, thats a thought.
i didnt read this properly, for Axis i read German !
Now then i also have
2x Ki 84's
1 x A6m2
1 x A6m5

Can add a Ju 52 to the list as well !

Last edited:
Michael, an effective way of doing mottle in small scales, is to use the tip of a cotton bud, lightly loaded with paint, which is then rubbed off, rather as one would do for dry-brushing.
Very lightly dab it onto the surface, and then twist (rotate) it, repeating the action for each mottle 'spot'.
The pic below shows this on a '109 I built around 25 years ago.

This GB is a good excuse to build something for my 'BoB - Hardest Days' collection, and there's a number to choose from:-

2 x He111
2 x Do17
2 x Ju88
3 x Bf110
8 x Bf109
1 x Ju87.

Gallery models 098.jpg

I didn't want to mention that earlier, Andy. I was sure you would get that sooner or later. ;)

Last edited:
I have something from all three "major" axis powers and am leaning towards a "Rufe" for my first of at least two builds for this group build. I have the Tamiya 1:48 scale Nakajima A6M2-N Type 2 float plane kit which is sitting in the #1 slot for me.

My vote for the C.202 Kirby. Can't find smoke ring decals on the web so looking for a captured C.205. Wouldn't mind doing the Hasegawa version in I can find numbers and ANR markings

f17b4eff42b34e64608af30a367a1fe9--hasegawa-airplane-art.jpg

Andy in one of his build threads raised the issue of RLM colours, and how you have to mess about mixing colours to get it right in the Tamiya range.

The local hobby shop has just started to stock the Vallejo RLM grey colur range, an example of which is attached. Given that I may build my first 109 for this build, I was considering purchasing one of these Vallejo packs. they are not cheap, so am I wasting my money?

PS: I suck at getting paint mixes right.

Vallejo - Model Air Acrylic Paint Set - Luftwaffe Colors Pre-War to 1941 (8 x 17ml)

My vote for the C.202 Kirby. Can't find smoke ring decals on the web so looking for a captured C.205. Wouldn't mind doing the Hasegawa version in I can find numbers and ANR markings

Yep, I'm leaning that way Geo. Got the Eduard Limited Release C.202 which is basically the Hasegawa kit with a bunch of PE and resin goodies thrown in and 6 different schemes. It's gonna test by airbrushing skills...

The local hobby shop has just started to stock the Vallejo RLM grey colur range, an example of which is attached. Given that I may build my first 109 for this build, I was considering purchasing one of these Vallejo packs. they are not cheap, so am I wasting my money?

Michael, I tend to use the Gunze RLM colours which I find pretty good in scale. Most of the time you can find a manufacturer who does a decent rendition of an RLM colour, it's the less frequently used ones like Andy is looking at that you sometimes need to mix. Can't speak for Vallejo, but the only problem with the packs is sometimes you end up with paints you don't use while others are missing, depending on what you are building. For example, the pack you've linked to only contains the early war colours and doesn't contain the common RLM 74/75/76 combo, so if you're doing a 109 F or G or something you'll need to buy another pack containing those colours...

Last edited:
Andy in one of his build threads raised the issue of RLM colours, and how you have to mess about mixing colours to get it right in the Tamiya range.

PS: I suck at getting paint mixes right.

Vallejo - Model Air Acrylic Paint Set - Luftwaffe Colors Pre-War to 1941 (8 x 17ml)
Michael, i use Vallejo model colour paints, straight from the bottle, no mixing of colours.

They seem fine to me.

Does your local shop stock individual bottles so you can buy just the colours you need ?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back