GB-59 1/72 Mitsubishi Ki-15 'Babs' - WW2 PTO V

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Cheers guys, very kind of you all!

Jesse, base kit is Arii, which is a rebox of the LS kit, now also reboxed by Micro-Ace.

Andy, I might try, though the 4 canopies I have here are all scratched or cut/ airbubbled. If this a common problem with these kits, a new one's probably going to be in similar condition.

Wojtku, dzieki my friend, might try that. Why do you have to remove the canopy frames though? Is the plastic not flexible enough to fit over, or remove from, the mould?

Cheers again guys!

Wojtku, dzieki my friend, might try that. Why do you have to remove the canopy frames though? Is the plastic not flexible enough to fit over, or remove from, the mould?

Certainly it is but you should keep in mind that the frames are outside usually. What is more the frames "protrude" a little bit over the glass surfaces, especially in the 1/72 scale. As a result you will get the frames on the new conopy more "blurry" what doesn't look correct. So if removed from the female mould you get the glass smooth on both sides. Additionally it is easier to take the former out of the new canopy. The frames can be either painted or you may use the decal strips. The final effect is much better.

Which one is your preference? The box that says two actually came with three kits from the seller who sent it to me. I will snag you one and pm me your address and it's yours. I will never get to these now that I have the 1/48 Fine Molds kits. So many kits, so little time. My course work starts next week for three years. Ugh! With all of that fine work you have done, she needs to get completed.

Attachments

• 20221126_123523_HDR_2.jpg
    20221126_123523_HDR_2.jpg
    788.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 20221125_232727_2.jpg
    20221125_232727_2.jpg
    670.2 KB · Views: 5
No progress, but an update.

Waiting on the book to arrive before continuing this build, should be here in 2-3 weeks.
From new reviews on the net, it looks like it has ALL available technical details covered, so want this in hand to make her 'right'.

Re: the canopy, Jesse very kindly found his ones, but it looks like they are both flat type unfortunately, so I have ordered another Arii C5M1 Babs for myself. If the canopy is good, it will go to this kit, if it's another dud, I will improvise.
(I will soon have enough kits to make one of each type of Babs too :))

Let yas know when the new kit or book arrive. Whichever comes first will determine the next steps.

Back in business!
Both arrived today, and both much earlier than expected!

'Mitsubishi Babs Vol. II', by Giuseppe Picarella is simply bloody awesome!
Every known technical detail, with photos where possible. You can tell he has spent ALOT of time researching this bird!
20231121_165306.jpg

The second Arii 1:72 C5M1 arrived too, with exactly the same canopy issues as my son's. Definitely a moulding issue. Time to improvise.
20231121_165440.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back