GB-60 1/72 Dornier Do-26 - Zombie Build.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Poking along with this bad boy. Wings are done except for the actuators and balance weights. The front engine nacelles are a miss. Not only are they not the same shape, one sits too low on the wing and the other too high. It's going to take a bit of farting around to correct. The also have holes in a line presumably to mimic exhaust ports which the real thing clearly does not have. The rear nacelles have an exhaust pipe either side. The front nacelles have an exhaust pipe on the outer side. The inner side exhausts through the wing similar to the Dornier Do 18. The rear nacelles were a piece of cake but did require a fair bit of sanding to fit the profile of the wing. I used wire for the antennas and brass tube drilled out for the exhausts.

Do26 (32)r.jpg

Do26 (35)r.jpg

Do26 (34)r.jpg

Do26 (36)r.jpg

The model can be finished with the rear engines set for the flight position. If the assembler would decided to make it with the engines set 10 degrees up for the taking off and landing the rear engine beds and the bottom of the rear cowling have to be fitted by slightly sanding off of the surfaces at the their joining areas.

Dornier Do 26 V-1 P5+AH_b.jpg
Dornier Do 26 V-4 P5+DH.jpg

Dornier Do 26 V-1 P5+AH_a.jpg
Dornier Do 26 V-6 P5+FH.jpg

Firstly the front engine cowlings have to fitted to the wing and then the beds for the rear ones.

do26-24.jpg

do26-09.jpg

do26-26.jpg

the pic source: Flugboot Dornier Do 26 (1/72, Mach 2) von Jürgen Petersen

In the B&W pics above it can be noticed that there is a quite large gap between the bottom of the engine cowling at the rear and the top of the bed on the wing top. Because the front part of the rear engine cowling goes down for the taking off/ landing position , a kind of a stair/gap between the both engine nacelle parts appears. In your shot it can be noticed that the starboard engine is fitted quite good although moved slightly back. The port engine is not only moved too forward but also its rear is more up than the starboard one. What makes the matter worse, the front port cowling is attached with the "nose" slightly down. At least it seems in that way. And this is the reason for the problem. Also for the starboard wing. To sum up .. fit three times, glue once.

do26-24_bsta.jpg

I thought about raising the engines for the take off position but I figured it would take too much scratch building. Right from the get go when I glued the halves of the front cowling together it was very obvious they were not the same shape !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back