GB-62 1/48 Spitfire Mk.I - Spitfires

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ralph Haus

Tech Sergeant
Jul 24, 2016
Leander Texas
Username: Ralph Haus
First name: Ralph
Category: Advanced
Manufacturer: Tamiya
Model: 61119 (25211)
Scale: 1:48

Joining early, but work may be slow and progress reports may be delayed. I picked this Tamiya Spit out of my stash based on the probable ease of build and the details offered. Tamiya rarely seems to disappoint. This kit is actually a twofer, a staff car is included, but, I believe, the aircraft sprues are the same as the single kit.

Tamiya 25211 box art.jpg
Tamiya 61119 box art.jpg

I am most likely going to finish this one out in the BoB colors (Given Andy's heads up I need to decide fairly soon into the gluing stages!).

Nice one and "SNAP" Ralph. This is the one I', going to do using the Tamiya decals. As you say, an easy kit but I do have a couple of extras to play with. :thumbright: :lol:

Let's get this over with. Colors. I am not going to do the Tamiya mixing, sticking with my preferred Vallejo. Browsing the forums, this one included, I believe I have come up with a Vallejo consensus?

Interior and exposed:

Vallejo 71.126.jpg
Vallejo 71.126

Camo:

Vallejo 71.323.jpg
Vallejo 71.323 Dark Earth

Vallejo 71.324.jpg
Vallejo 71.324 Dark Green

Underside - two choices??:

Vallejo 71.009.jpg
Vallejo 71.302.jpg
Vallejo 71.302 Sky Type S OR 71.009 Duck Egg Green (which I have read was the early BoB color)

Corrections or comments? I believe the Duck Egg Green is correct for this kite? Also, many mentions on the Dark Earth (71.323) being to dark?

For Vallejo, I have read over at Britmodeller that this is almost bang on. My Model Air was too dark but it may have been the older version. I use Mr Hobby Aqueous now for Dark Earth. What I go for now is, close is good enough. Once you weather it, it won't matter how accurate it was

1714702729786.jpeg

Cockpit colour maybe could go a little lighter , hard to tell the real shade looking on a monitor . found a few ref pics

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-02 214534.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-02 214534.png
    280.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot 2024-05-02 214546.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-02 214546.png
    320.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot 2024-05-02 214601.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-02 214601.png
    382 KB · Views: 5
Let's get this over with. Colors. I am not going to do the Tamiya mixing, sticking with my preferred Vallejo. Browsing the forums, this one included, I believe I have come up with a Vallejo consensus?

Interior and exposed:

View attachment 776697 Vallejo 71.126

Camo:

View attachment 776698 Vallejo 71.323 Dark Earth

View attachment 776699 Vallejo 71.324 Dark Green

Underside - two choices??:

View attachment 776700View attachment 776701 Vallejo 71.302 Sky Type S OR 71.009 Duck Egg Green (which I have read was the early BoB color)

Corrections or comments? I believe the Duck Egg Green is correct for this kite? Also, many mentions on the Dark Earth (71.323) being to dark?

Regarding the undersides colour .. the Duck Egg Blue name is actually reffering to the colour known as the Sky one officially. The problem is of what tone it was. The DEB colour was going to be used for the time the RAF was switching from the B&W undersides to the Sky coat. Nobody knew what tinge it should have had. So the AM sent a signal where the tone was said to be of the duck egg bluish green. If you have a look at the pic below you may notice its of the blue tone rather than the green. For getting of the greenish tinge it was needed to add to the basic colour some of the yellow. According to my notes it was about a 4% addition. Because there was the shortage of the colour, there could appear own mixes made by the maintenance units. A a result there could be paints of the different tones. I mean the lighter or darker and bluish or greenish-yellowish because the coat could be made by mixing the white and the insignia blue basicly. But it was still the same paint we know as the Duck Egg Blue, Duck Egg Green or Sky or Sky S type.

Duck Eggs.jpg

Regarding the undersides colour .. the Duck Egg Blue name is actually reffering to the colour known as the Sky one officially. The problem is of what tone it was. The DEB colour was going to be used for the time the RAF was switching from the B&W undersides to the Sky coat. Nobody knew what tinge it should have had. So the AM sent a signal where the tone was said to be of the duck egg bluish green. If you have a look at the pic below you may notice its of the blue tone rather than the green. For getting of the greenish tinge it was needed to add to the basic colour some of the yellow. According to my notes it was about a 4% addition. Because there was the shortage of the colour, there could appear own mixes made by the maintenance units. A a result there could be paints of the different tones. I mean the lighter or darker and bluish or greenish-yellowish because the coat could be made by mixing the white and the insignia blue basicly. But it was still the same paint we know as the Duck Egg Blue, Duck Egg Green or Sky or Sky S type.

View attachment 776805
That helps clear up some of my confusion as to why "sky" is green. I thought it was just tornado alley that had green skies and you sure ain't a flying in them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back