Help identifying lamp? Avro Lancaster?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hello everyone - I'm hoping someone can help me identify this adjustable lamp, please? I've been told it was used in the tail turret of an Avro Lancaster, but have been unable to verify elsewhere.

I have found archive photographs of navigators at work, but their adjustable lamps - though similar - have spring-loaded arms, whereas this one's arms are locked in place by a tightening screw.

The shade is original, I'm told, and the switch section is a very distinctive mottled brown bakelite. The part number is 5CX/4856. The name Herbert Terry has been mentioned, as the lamp's designer.

That's all the information I have. If anyone can help me piece facts from that and the photos I'd be very grateful.

Hello, I found this discussion because I am trying to find the original drawings for the 5C/1079 lamp designed and built by Herbert Terry. No luck so far but in doing so I found this forum/thread and thought these drawings might be of interest:

lanc_crew_positions.jpg

Sonobuoy operator's station:

lanc_sonobuoy_ops_position_b.jpg

They are from the description of CANADIAN LANCASTER - 10MR and MP CREW POSITIONS
link Radio Research Paper - Lancaster Mk X, MR/MP VARIANT

Hi,

These may have been used in Avro Vulcan B1's. The Vulcan cockpit at RAF Cosford has some in, I haven't been in the main aircraft there (a B2) although other B2's I've been in had a flexi light which looked liked it was made from a shower hose!

The ratchet mechanism is pretty cool as the lamp would stay in position even if inverted. Might have been over complicating things though!! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back