It shouldn't happen to a Chef !

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

a longer and sadder story next.

Friday night just finishing prep for a wedding the next day when the duty manager comes in, (I was the senior chef on duty that day), she tells me she has taken a few calls cancelling bedrooms for tomorrow night, all are wedding guests, what do we do ?

"call them and ask if there is an issue" I advise

a short while later she comes back

"I Got through to them but was told now is not a good time and they will call back soon, there was a lot of crying going on in the background too" she says

dinner service finishes and still no call back from the bridal party and now all the wedding guests have cancelled their bedrooms, they had taken up pretty much every room in the hotel.

we call back a little more insistent this time, asking what is going on ?

"the wedding is off !" we are told

so we are sat there with food and drink for a decent size wedding all ready to go, the room is decorated etc and now no wedding.

the GM called them the next morning to clarify if the wedding was definitely off and was told yes, no wedding.

it tuned out that the bridal party were having a night together at the brides parents house (bride to be, brides mother, mother in law, bridesmaids etc) and after a few bottles of wine the brides best friend and chief bridesmaid suddenly broke down and confessed to sleeping with the the Groom to be for the last couple of years and couldn't hold it in any longer !

Last edited:
my car was in for repairs so i was waiting for my wife to finish work and then come to pick me up from the hotel one night.
it was around 23.00 wand i was chatting with our night manager when a guest comes down the stairs and motions him over.
after a short conversation they head upstairs together, presumably to sort out a small problem in their room.
the night manager returns a few minutes later looking like he's seen a ghost.

"what's up ?" i ask

he tells me, the guest asked him to look at the radiator in their room as it was very warm and he couldn't turn it off, he goes in and sees the guy's wife in bed, the covers pulled up to her chin, he then reaches down to try to turn down the thermostat on the radiator when the guy whip's the covers off the bed, revealing his naked wife !

the bloke then asks the night manager if he fancies joining his wife in their bed while he watches.

after a polite no, he then came back down where i saw the look on his face :lol:

as he is telling me this the guy reappears and the night manager goes over to him, again a short conversation takes place, this time with some dramatic hand gestures from the night manager basically pointing the guy back to his room.

he comes back over to me
"i dont f###ing believe them two !" he says

me laughing
"what did he want now ?"

he then tells me the guy asked him if he didnt want to shag his wife, does he want to come up to their room to watch him do it ?

part two of this next time :lol:

part two.

next morning the same couple come to reception to ask if they can use a shower in a different room as the one in their room wasn't good enough.
they were given the key to a room a few doors down the same corridor.

we started getting reports from other guests that a lady was wandering down the corridor wrapped in a towel that seemed to always fall off as she neared any male guest !
a bit later on during the morning as breakfast service was nearly finished, the duty manager comes in and tells me to follow him as i have to see this !

we go into the restaurant which is totally silent and everyone is looking in one direction.
i followed their gaze to see a naked women squashed against a window opposite the restaurant conservatory whilst her partner was behind her having the time of his life.

yep it was our couple from the night before, they found that the room in which they were given the key too use the shower looked down into the restaurant and they decided to give everyone a free show :lol:

we ran upstairs, dragged them out of the room told them to get dressed and leave asap !

most of our other guests did see the funny side of it but we did get a few complaints about the live sex show during breakfast.

lady calls the hotel.

" i have a spa treatment and lunch package booked with your hotel today"

reception

"yes Madam, how can i help ?"

lady

"I would like to cancel it please"

reception
"Oh is there a problem, can i do anything to help ?"

lady

" no, I am at the manor house hotel in Cheshire, where i thought i had booked, when i made booking with you i didn't know there were 2 hotels called the manor house and as I don't live any where near Durham i wont be attending "

Last edited:
thanks mate, been doing it a long time so seen a few things ! :lol:

A lady comes to reception

"I stayed here last night and my car has been damaged and now wont drive at all, what are you going to do about it ?"

we went outside to check her car and it wasn't there.

"its up the hill near the main road it just packed up" she says " but it was damaged in your car park"

the maintenance manager and i walk through the car park and up the small hill, noticing a trail of red car body parts and fluids running down the road.

we get to the car it is missing parts of the drivers side wing, trim panels and the doors bottom rail is bent outwards, fluids are leaking out of the area where the wing is damaged.

"how the f##k did she do that ?" he said
we went back to the hotel and as we entered the car park we noticed one of the large flower beds we had at the end of each row of parking spaces was damaged.
these are made out of 2 rows of railway sleepers forming a rectangle.
this one was pushed into an almost diamond shape with some of the sleeper pulled outwards, we found some more car parts in there too.

he went inside and looked at the cctv covering the car park.

it showed the lady driving her car to leave the hotel, as she passed the flower bed to turn right she must of lost sight of it and cut the corner too sharply, hooked a railway sleeper in her wheel arch and got stuck, you could see her turn the wheel to the left and try to reverse off, but obviously her wheel hit the sleeper.
she paused then turned right again and added plenty of power and forced her car out, pulling bits of her car off as we saw, and pulling the railway sleepers out of position as they gave way, she then just drove off until her car packed up.

she was trying to avoid calling her insurance and get us to pay for the damage she caused.

she gave up when she was shown the footage from the cctv and because she was taking the piss the GM added damage to the car park to her bill :lol:

couple come in.

"we have a table booked for 3.30pm"

us

"sorry you must be mistaken, we stop serving lunch at 2pm, are you sure it was with us that you booked ?"

guy gets all angry

"yes it was with you, we got married here last year do you not think i can make a simple booking on my wedding anniversary ?"

us calls a hotel nearby with a similar name

"do you have a booking for 3,30 pm that has not shown up ?"

them

"yes no shows, so have given table away"

us

"sorry you booked at Hallgarth Manor, we are Hallgarth Hotel and country club and they dont have any space for lunch left now"

guys wife gets very angry with him a storms off back to the car.

us

"we can make you a sandwich ? :lol:

got this one day, i was a tad confused !

afternoon tea.jpg

happier story.

bridal party are delivering everything for their wedding the next day.

the duty manager comes in and in hushed tones asks me to follow her.
we go to a conference room down the corridor, where i find a lady in absolute hysterics.

it's explained to me that this is the brides mum and she was bringing in the wedding cake and picked up the bottom tier in its box and then put the box containing the top tier on top.
the boxes were not rigid enough and as the top box depressed the lid of the bottom one she heard a crunch, she managed to hold it together , attract the attention of the duty manager and asked to go somewhere private and look at the damage.

the cake was simple squares each with a life size flower on top made of sugar icing and painted up to look very realistic.
unfortunately the crunch she heard was the bottom flower being crushed and had broken into 4 or 5 large pieces ( was 30ish years ago ).

can you do something i was asked.

i had a look and it was a pretty simple fix, you just dip the broken edges in cold water and they go back together, she was lucky it had broken into bigish pieces though.

i said leave it with me and i went back to the kitchen for a small tub of cold water.

the duty manager distracted the bride to be who was looking for her mother and i got to work putting the pieces back together.
it went very well, you could hardly see the joints unless you were really looking and knew where they were.

20 minutes later it was all fixed, the brides mum threw herself at me and put me in a bear hug sobbing her thanks on my shoulder.

we were not going to tell the bride but her mum was in such a state she would have sussed something was going on so her mum made a full confession and when she saw i had fixed the flower she bear hugged me too and there was a constant stream of beers coming into the kitchen that night !

lucky for them at that time i was actually planning our wedding and i was contemplating making my own wedding cake so i had been practising sugar craft so i knew what to do.

i always joke I reckon i could of had a manage au trois with them both they were so grateful to me at the time :lol:

it is up there with the nicest moments of my chef career.

last year i was working at a clay pigeon shooting ground, we were hosting a shooting competition for university shooting clubs from all over the country.

a young lady from a very prestigious university comes up to me as i am cooking on a bbq.

"Gosh i am so warm, it's my first time in the north and i expected it to be much colder so i am wearing my warmest clothes !"

i did explain that it is exactly like game of thrones and if she traveled another 40 miles north she would find the giant ice wall :lol:

a guy from the same university (pink moleskin trousers white shirts and brogues approaches, daddy is obviously an officer in the blues and royals )

"so how does this work ?"

"how does what work ?" i ask

"how does one get something to eat ?"

"you tell me what you want, you pay for it, i cook it and give it to you, you eat it " i reply
"i'm guessing your butler normally orders for you, so it can be a little confusing on your own"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back