My collection of the instrument panels

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Gary Cain Gary Cain did you touch them up with paint because they look so fresh.
Not the ones posted so far. I do have a couple of panels that were full on restorations and are basically new. Here is the T-38 I did. You can plug it into an airplane and fly, it is Airworthy.

Attachments

• DSC_0003.JPG
    DSC_0003.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 17
Wow. Thats 3 in a roll. Are there stories to be told how you collected this gems? Or just the one.
Why and how do you pick the subject? Must have been some keen collecting to get such a different in subject but very high class of panels.

Here are some trainers I am working on, Yellow Peril, PT-19, and PT-26. Before, and after pics

Attachments

• DSC_0003.JPG
    DSC_0003.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC_0001.JPG
    DSC_0001.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 13
  • DSC_0011.JPG
    DSC_0011.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 13
  • DSC_0002.JPG
    DSC_0002.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 12
  • DSC_0003.JPG
    DSC_0003.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 12
Wow. Thats 3 in a roll. Are there stories to be told how you collected this gems? Or just the one.
Why and how do you pick the subject? Must have been some keen collecting to get such a different in subject but very high class of panels.

I soloed waaaay back in 1979 and had always been collecting militaria. I found an old T-28 panel that was beat to heck and did a "restoration" :)-\")on it. Basically found the instruments to fit the various slots and poof, it's DONE! :rofl: Then I met Jim Underwood at an Edwards Air Show, and the rest, as they say is history. He showed me how to do a proper restoration, and helped me when I couldn't find a particularly difficult part, and, because I was rather poor then, he allowed me to pay on time, and reduced the costs the best he could. He introduced me to horror of horrors, original flight manuals! I never even saw a flight manual for the airplanes I was piloting at the flight school! Now I have well over two hundred of them.

But see post 23. I am very curious how you pick a subject.
I am a bit of a hoarder. I hoover up pretty much any aircraft part I can find. I then will sometimes store them for years until I have a project for them. The T-38 I did a full restoration on because I love the aircraft, and had the pleasure of flying one a few years back. I have a couple of F5F panels that i am going to do a full restoration on becaue I love the aircraft, and Tac Air is down the road from me and I hope to sell them one!

And this is going to be my next long term project, an all original B-17 instrument panel. I just finished cleaning the panel housing up. I have the three original panels to go on it, but I am still debating how I want to do it. Full on restoration to like new, or leave the panels exposed so people can see what they are made of?

Attachments

• DSC_0002.JPG
    DSC_0002.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
And this is going to be my next long term project, an all original B-17 instrument panel. I just finished cleaning the panel housing up. I have the three original panels to go on it, but I am still debating how I want to do it. Full on restoration to like new, or leave the panels exposed so people can see what they are made of?
Well as the Fort is a landmark machine i ( and who the hell am i ?) would opt for exposed. There is a reason for my madness. Anybody with a slight intrest in ww2 airplanes will know from what ever publication the front of the panel. But how about label it to where those instruments went? What was connected to airspeed where did the rev counter got its info?

A manual picture is nice, your panels are far..... far beyond that

Any way... i hope you have fun and keep us updated on these projects.

Well as the Fort is a landmark machine i ( and who the hell am i ?) would opt for exposed. There is a reason for my madness. Anybody with a slight intrest in ww2 airplanes will know from what ever publication the front of the panel. But how about label it to where those instruments went? What was connected to airspeed where did the rev counter got its info?

I agree with you, here is the right side and center for the 17 panel. I can't find the left side right now! It is in my workshop somewhere!

Attachments

• RIGHT SIDE.JPG
    RIGHT SIDE.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
  • CENTER.JPG
    CENTER.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 12
Some of my panels. Repro panels, but, all instruments are original except for the He-219 prop pitch. Never seen a real one for sale.

Attachments

• Spit MkV Blind Flying Panel Complete.JPG
    Spit MkV Blind Flying Panel Complete.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 15
  • Ju-88 Fl23233 Compass2.JPG
    Ju-88 Fl23233 Compass2.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
  • Ju-87D.jpg
    Ju-87D.jpg
    889 KB · Views: 19
  • He-219 A-0.JPG
    He-219 A-0.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
  • Fw-190 also.jpg
    Fw-190 also.jpg
    624 KB · Views: 18
  • Fw-190.JPG
    Fw-190.JPG
    510.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Bf-109G.JPG
    Bf-109G.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
Some of my panels. Repro panels, but, all instruments are original except for the He-219 prop pitch. Never seen a real one for sale.
Those are some nice panels, even if repro. The collecting of the instruments for them is getting harder every day.

What a great 'hobby', as such. Just wondering where you have room to store/display all of these treasures? I lost count on the number that you have in all phases, but there must be a lot? Your collection will be invaluable for those that are modeling and want accurate information.

What a great 'hobby', as such. Just wondering where you have room to store/display all of these treasures? I lost count on the number that you have in all phases, but there must be a lot? Your collection will be invaluable for those that are modeling and want accurate information.
I have a workshop, and a hangar. So plenty of space!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back