On The Deck

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Some aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh! Duck!!! moments there! One thing on the Canadian website, that A-4 is an RNZAF A-4K, not an Aussie one and its buzzing a British Harrier Carrier; e.g. HMS Invincible, Illustrious or Ark Royal. Note the ski ramp at the right of the pic. The unidentified Phantom is a Luftwaffe F-4F. THe German T-6 looks awesome!

Some of those pics are awsome! Gonna re-post a few here.

Attachments

• Lowdown3.jpg
    Lowdown3.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 561
  • Lowdown5.jpg
    Lowdown5.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 539
  • Lowdown10.jpg
    Lowdown10.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 519
  • Lowdown33.jpg
    Lowdown33.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 515
  • Lowdown44.jpg
    Lowdown44.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 521
  • Lowdown58.jpg
    Lowdown58.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 521
It was. Check out the website. Apparently he clipped and killed a groundcrew.

That's to bad. Don't get me wrong I'm enjoying the tread but I bite my nails when I look at these pictures. Low flying is very dangerous for many reasons. If it is approved for an airshow, training or combat mission etc. so be it, good luck. I've been flying for a living for 31 years but 30 years ago I got in trouble for buzzing a friends house in a C-172, yes it was only a Cessna but I dang near ripped the shingles off that house :) Well even though the house was in the country a person driving down the highway got the N # and called the Fed's ! I got a 30 day suspension and had to do 8 hours of ground training with a FAA safety inspector showing me many photos and reports of pilots and passengers that loss their lives during buzz jobs. Till this day I have never done a fly-by lower than 500' (i know borrrring). The reason I felt I should say something about this is it concerns me that a young pilot seeing these photos might go out and try low flying. Be safe.

the days of barnstorming are past....incidents of buzzing things are very few and far between around here.

There was a time when low flying was something that people "looked away" from for the most part. These days, it's not. I have been in an airplane going low enough to skim wavetops over the ocean. Over land, it's been much saner, and we have never flown below published minimums, but then again, the altimeter in the back appears to be operable +/-500' or so. ;)

Seriously though, no pilot in his right mind would pull some of these passes. I know there is an "auto-stupid" button that gets activated when pilots want to show off, but staying within the parameters of the flight envelope and the airspace restrictions (including waivered space) is imperative to staying on this side of the grass. Pulling a stupid move like the Santa Monica pier incident here in California is bad for ALL aviation.

When the bullets are flying being able to fly low can be a very important survival skill. You can be by and away from the enemy before he can even begin to come up with a firing solution, if you're close enough to the gun site he can't even swing his muzzle fast enough to follow. Flying low also lets the terrain mask the sound of your arrival.

It's one of those essential skills needed in military flying not applicable to civilian aviation , except maybe crop dusting.

Consider myself an expert on low Flying as I worked Tower in Goose bay when it was used as NATO Lo Level training area , my favourite one was a 101 in which the controller advised pilot "the arrestor cable is up and you have tanks on "

It's one of those essential skills needed in military flying not applicable to civilian aviation , except maybe crop dusting.
The guy that crops dusts around here flies under the hydro lines! There about 40ft off the ground! Every turn with this guy in a new adventure in acrobatics.. This guy is goood!

i used to see them crop dust when i lived oklahoma... like ratsel said they were well below 50 feet and jockeying these things around like they were at an airshow. but then i had the chance to visit an airfield out in the texas pan handle and saw a half a dozen AG planes in various degrees of "crunched"...a little reminder that its not all fun and games.

noted this on vw vortex and just thought someone here would be able to shed light on its origin; kinda hoping its from a film and no-one was, ... um ... unpaid.

Attachments

• 6339998784_27009602fa_b.jpg
    6339998784_27009602fa_b.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 446
Hmmm, weird. It looks like a T-6/Harvard, but it also appears to have bomb racks on it. I know T-6s have been used in a variety of roles, but I've never seen one with bomb racks. Unusual color scheme too. If it isn't from a film there are several brave people in the shot; the pilot, and every one in front of the airplane as no one appears to be ducking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back