On The Deck

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Sussex County, NJ in 1985.

Didn't notice it at first - the Mustang...

img459.jpg

Possibly not. It may be from the early 1980's, the time when George Aird displayed the Mossie on behalf of BAe, Chester.
On 'Press' days, George would bring the aircraft in very low indeed - at my local Aero Club, as we were setting up for one particular Sunday display on the Saturday, he had to 'lift' the Mossie over a parked farm trailer loaded with fencing, before 'buzzing' the club-house and then doing a steep, climbing turn back across the field!
George is the same person featured in that pic of the pilot ejecting from an EE Lightning, and the white flying suit suggests it's him.
Sadly, the aircraft was lost, with it's crew, in 1996, at my local Club (Lancashire Aero Club, Barton, near Manchester, now City Airport Manchester).

The squadron code (HT) on the fictitious 633 squadron a/c is what one sees in the photo posted.

Yes, RR299 was one of two T.III Mosquitos used in '633 Squadron' (1963), and 'Mosquito Squadron' (1968), the others being TT.35s slightly modified to resemble the FB.VI version. The T.IIIs appeared in background, taxiing, or 'long' shots, with the TT35s being the main type seen in close-up.
The fictional (for a Mosquito Sqn) codes were applied for the film (she'd previously been painted overall 'Aluminium'), and retained throughout the remainder of RR299's life, even after the airframe was recovered and re-painted, at Hawarden, around 1981. In 1994, she had 'D-Day' stripes applied, for the 50th anniversary of D-Day airshow season, which were removed the following year.
I've seen most 'stills' from both movies, which are mainly B&W shots, and this particular colour shot looks like one of a series taken much later, at a UK airshow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back