Picture of the day. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

My parents ,1942 most likely. My father was based at Tampa Florida for awhile, met mom there.
PXL_20231125_030329774.jpg

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I think there might be something missing about China, Manchuria, and Korea in your comment.
My mother's family (missionaries) were forced to leave Japan in 1933 due to threats and harassment from the ultranationalists who were driving public opinion. The church (Universalist) pulled the plug and had them shipped stateside for their own safety. From a warm autumn in Shizuoka to a subzero December in Maine was a rude shock to three little girls who'd been born and brought up in warm Japan.

The mighty King Air 350 (maybe 200s?) has syncro-phasers. This isn't a weapon, but prevents an unpleasant and potentially damaging harmonic between the props.
The "stretched version" 350 (Beech 1900) we flew had them. Same engines, same props, same reasons.

IIRC, the L188 Electra herself had some issues with destructive harmonics. Catastrophic ones, as I recall?

Yes and interestingly the fix for that was to remove some structure because the aircraft was too rigid and cracked instead of flexing in several critical areas.

Keeping it simple, the main problem early on was the props were so large that they created a new problem called whirl mode where basiccally they started to wobble and instead of damping out the wobble amplified until it tore the wing from the fuselage. That was mainly fixed by uptilting the engines so that there was a constant damping load on the prop and nacelle. New cowls and engine mounts were the main changes structurally for the whirl mode problem.

The aircraft went on to be a very successful airliner and the P-3 Orion was derived from the Electra.

The "stretched version" 350 (Beech 1900) we flew had them. Same engines, same props, same reasons.
Yes. For a while, I think the FAA had the two aircraft as a common type. You had to accomplish differences training to fly the other. Now, you have to do the entire type training.

AOE4 USS Detroit( about me :O) was a fast combat support ship, many vessels called USS Detroit all the way back to when the Americans captured the 20 gun sloop from the Royal navy back in 1813. I served onboard with nearly 4 years of sea service.;)WW1? jeez I am not that old.View attachment 749023
A very ugly ship, lots of UNREPS 6th fleet .

Last edited:
A well known picture taken on Bougainville Island (Solomon Islands. Probably March 1944.

This pictures shows the realities of jungle warfare. Bright sunlight filtering through the triple canopy rain forest and the dim jungle floor.

View attachment 747948
https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/idahostatesman/name/eugene-showman-obituary?id=12189031I had a neighbor years ago who served in the marines who was involved in this battle, his description of his experience there haunts me. " They had us go up a mountain to take out a gun, sniper took out many guys in front of me. The dead were lined up in a row head to foot going up. I was pinned down for days. I was next to a guy that was decomposing. I stayed down for days so as not to be shot, eventually a plane with a rear gunner took out the gun with a bomb.) Dauntless? or something to that effect. Eugene Showman, A man I. greatly respected. been trying to piece together what he was involved in over there. The man said he was messed up for years after the war, alcoholic, said he hated all Japanese. He eventually forgave and went on to a better more peaceful life. May he rest in peace. I have found a detailed book that I will soon purchase.

Last edited:
Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back