Propeller Blade Identification and Information (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

mr.hermitsquid

Recruit
Apr 15, 2024
I recently purchased a propeller blade and I was hoping for any information that people can provide. I am still working on deciding how to finish it so any information on paint or finish would also be appreciated. There are quite a few similar props, so I want to try and be as accurate as possible. There are also a number of symbols (especially the heart) that I do not know the meaning of. Any and all information much appreciated. Thanks!

Here are the details:
Weight: 28lbs
Hight (Tip to base): approximately 44in
Text: DWG 6135A 15 CHG X U(anchor)S HSP 5 MFG T3526 CONT. LL 92031
Reverse Text: SHANK 56150 CHG E
Base: S (or 5 I cant tell) 4 51546 F (Heart(140)) (box(9))
Base: (Dimond)HT 115 D

Attachments

• prop base hook.jpg
    prop base hook.jpg
    912.9 KB · Views: 6
  • prop base lettering 1.jpg
    prop base lettering 1.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 4
  • prop base lettering 2.jpg
    prop base lettering 2.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 5
  • prop base lettering 3 (reverse).jpg
    prop base lettering 3 (reverse).jpg
    163 KB · Views: 4
  • prop bottom lettering.jpg
    prop bottom lettering.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • prop front.jpg
    prop front.jpg
    506.4 KB · Views: 5
  • prop rear.jpg
    prop rear.jpg
    416.9 KB · Views: 4
Welcome to the forum

Well for starters it is off a Hamilton Standard counterweight propeller - or a licence built copy which will not show on the list I have.

The blade part (Drawing) number is shown in the second photo as 6153A

That blade was used on multiple aircraft and you would need to measure the full length to determine which aircraft it most likely came from.

Although that blade was used on the A-20, B-24 and C-42, among others, you can eliminate them as they used full feathering hydromatic props, not non feathering counterweight props.

The OA-5 used a 6153A-16 and the A-17 used the 6153A-21. I did not see any others on my list but that does not mean much.

Michael Hope will hopefully be able to provide you with further details like the finishing specs for that blade and later aircraft that may have used that blade.

The U(anchor)S indicates a US Navy or Marine Corps contract, almost certain to be used on a US Navy or Marine Corps airframe.

USN contracted.png

Last edited:
Yep .. the prop blade 6135A-15 was used for the AT-8/AT-9/AT-17/AT-17A/UC-78/C-78 kites with the engines R-680-9 and R-755-9 and prop of 7ft and 9inch in diameter. The hub model 2B20 with the governors mentioned in the PDF file.

Yep .. the prop blade 6135A-15 was used for the AT-8/AT-9/AT-17/AT-17A/UC-78/C-78 kites with the engines R-680-9 and R-755-9 and prop of 7ft and 9inch in diameter. The hub model 2B20 with the governors mentioned in the PDF file.
Page 8 of the pdf. AT8, AT9, AT10, AT17, UC-78.
Welcome to the forum

Well for starters it is off a Hamilton Standard counterweight propeller - or a licence built copy which will not show on the list I have.

The blade part (Drawing) number is shown in the second photo as 6153A

That blade was used on multiple aircraft and you would need to measure the full length to determine which aircraft it most likely came from.

Although that blade was used on the A-20, B-24 and C-42, among others, you can eliminate them as they used full feathering hydromatic props, not non feathering counterweight props.

The OA-5 used a 6153A-16 and the A-17 used the 6153A-21. I did not see any others on my list but that does not mean much.

Michael Hope will hopefully be able to provide you with further details like the finishing specs for that blade and later aircraft that may have used that blade.
The U(anchor)S indicates a US Navy or Marine Corps contract, almost certain to be used on a US Navy or Marine Corps airframe.

View attachment 774021
Thank you all for the information! I really appreciate the help. I was not expecting this result, as the museum I bought it from has none of these aircraft. Great to know this information though. I think, knowing this information, I will either mirror finish the prop and leave it at that, or I will polish it silver and then paint the back black with the Hamilton Standard sticker as seen on the Air Force Museum's AT-9. I cant find any information on the navy variant of any of these aircraft, but I do assume those that those would be painted. I am not sure mine is in nice enough condition not to paint, but I guess we will see. Thanks again for all of the great information.

Thank you all for the information! I really appreciate the help. I was not expecting this result, as the museum I bought it from has none of these aircraft. Great to know this information though. I think, knowing this information, I will either mirror finish the prop and leave it at that, or I will polish it silver and then paint the back black with the Hamilton Standard sticker as seen on the Air Force Museum's AT-9. I cant find any information on the navy variant of any of these aircraft, but I do assume those that those would be painted. I am not sure mine is in nice enough condition not to paint, but I guess we will see. Thanks again for all of the great information.

Actually the AT-8, AT-17, C-78, UC-78 and Crane were the Army (military) versions of the commercial Cessna T-50 light transport. The 67 were transferred to the United States Navy as JRC-1s. In all pics of the aircraft the prop blades aren't polished but of the matt aluminium or grey colour. The polished props can be found on the prototypes or museum exibits only. It seems that if the plane was of the silver colour the prop was of the same. These with the green camouflage had the props of the black with the yellow tips mostly. But there is no rule.

Here you are a couple of shots found via the net with props seen.

AT-8
at8.jpg

AT-9 ... please notice that there wasn't the HS logo but only the blade data printed along the balde.
at9.jpg

AT-17 ... and here it seems that the data of the blade was printed across it. In the second pic it can be noticed there was no logo applied. But it can be noticed the black area of the back side of the blades.
AT17.jpg

AT17_silver.jpg

AT-17A
AT-17A.jpg

UC-78
UC_78.jpg

UC78.jpg

the pic source: the net.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back