Shidenkai Being Re-built In Japan

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Beautiful aeroplane! I wonder what kind of engine they could use for such a beast today if they wanted to have a flying version.

- Ivan.

That plane looks brand new. I seriously doubt they used original parts. Such a shame my Japanse is so rusty. I hope they have info in English on their site.

It's a full scale model like a mockup. Not airworthy.

1534343707131.jpg

Source: https://www.ktv.jp/content/ktv/runn...cle/image_537970748.img.jpg/1534343707131.jpg

Last edited:
This airframe has been regarded as a symbol of the last tragic war for decades in Uwajima City of Ehime Prefecture but I don't doubt that this would be restored to be airworthy in the future when the younger generation find more historical value in it as an original plane. Sleep well George until then.

Uwajima_N1K2_J_01.jpg

Source: 2017年07月 愛南町 2日目 「紫電改展示館」 (宇和島) - 旅行のクチコミサイト フォートラベル

Uwajima_N1K2_J_02.jpg
Uwajima_N1K2_J_03.jpg

Source: なかなか行けない場所の【紫電改】見学

Last edited:
It is a pity that the new construction isn't airworthy but it is still beautiful.
As for the Shiden-Kai that was retrieved back in the 1970's and being displayed, I suspect that its "restoration" to airworthy condition would be in a way very similar to that of P-38 "Glacier Girl". It would basically serve as a full scale pattern to manufacture all new parts for an aircraft but there still would remain the problem of a suitable engine. The Nakajima Homare was a very unique combination of size and power.

- Ivan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back