Spitfire?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Charlie Burbury

Recruit
May 8, 2024
Can anyone I'd this altometer ? It was with a clock which I believe to be a spitfire, belonged to my grandfather
20240508_091205.jpg
20240508_091143.jpg
20240508_091153.jpg

The RAF Aircraft Altimeter Mk.XIIIB 6A/1741 ( Non Luminous .. IMHO ) was used in pre-WW2 aircraft as well as aircraft during WW2, with a maximum ceiling of 20,000 ft. This indicator was used in the Tiger Moth, Avro Anson, Fairay Swordfish aircraft for instance. Generally Mk.XIII was usually seen in pre war aircraft and early war training aircraft, later as a second pilots/observers/navigators type of altimeter very often. The Mk.XIII was set to "0" before take off and indicates height above home aerodrome in flight. For landing at any other aerodrome height difference between both aerdromes needed to be known. Hence HEIGHT not ALT on the dial.

Regarding the clock ... I can't read most of the inscriptions engraved on the dial but it looks like the S. Smith & Sons Mk.IIIA, 8 day cockpit clock. When used by the RAF, it was fitted to early Hurricane and Spitfire fighter planes as well as some Beauforts, Battles, Beaufighters and other aircraft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back