The CW-21 Was A Good Looking Airplane

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

MIflyer

1st Lieutenant
May 30, 2011
Cape Canaveral
Say what you want. It sure looked good. And that was in 1939.
CurtissCW-21.JPG

Notice the column about Vega expansion for the Uni-Twin conversion of a Lockheed Altair. The Uni-Twin was a double Menasco.

I think first use of a V-tail was on a BF-109.

Bf_109_G-0_VJWC_bl-1.jpg

Very cool. But not quite the apparent-unicorn V-tail single engine radial I was suggesting.

But it was possible, I like the look of the radial Bf 109.

Last edited:
I found it! The first, and apparently only example of a radial-powered single-engine V-tail, the Hanriot H.28. Albeit with a rotary radial, rather than the fixed cylinder block with rotating crankshaft that we associate with later radial engines. The CW-21 would have looked great in this format.

PIC_1-G-1675.jpg

Subject title: Presentation of the Hanriot H.28 aircraft with a modified tail at the Mokotowskie airport in Warsaw
Description of the painting: Hanriot H.28 aircraft taking off with a butterfly-type tail, modified by E. Plage and T. Laśkiewicz, designed by Jerzy Rudlicki.
Event date: 1931-09-19
Place: Warsaw

Notice the column about Vega expansion for the Uni-Twin conversion of a Lockheed Altair. The Uni-Twin was a double Menasco.
That was done along with a one and a half pike off the ten metre platform wasn't it ?

I know, I know, engine right ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back