The Horten brothers powered aircraft and unbuilt designs in 3D print.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

StuartA

Airman 1st Class
Nov 4, 2022
1681125157141.jpeg

The first three in a series of seven.
Left to right are first the Ho VII.This was designed as a trainer to acclimatize pilots to the forthcoming Ho IX jet.At least two examples were acquired by the allies at the end of the war.
Centre is the third iteration of the proposed Ho XVIII.The original design had six engines embedded in the wing.Because the project was too large to be manufactured in house the project was passed to a group of mainstream companies.They had no faith in the brothers pure wing theories and insisted on the addition of a large central stabaliser,and underslung engines for ease of maintenanc.Thus the second design.
The brothers were unhappy with with this,as the fin increased drag.
They came up with the drawing below as a compromise solution;the actual 3D model is a combination of this and an artists rendition.

Attachments

• 3B184E1C-65BA-492E-95DF-A1EF582033C3.jpeg
    3B184E1C-65BA-492E-95DF-A1EF582033C3.jpeg
    181.3 KB · Views: 22
  • B3F8E707-9576-45D0-844C-189115EB87A5.jpeg
    B3F8E707-9576-45D0-844C-189115EB87A5.jpeg
    205.4 KB · Views: 24
The one on the right is the Ho X,a single seat jet fighter designed in response to the 'Volksjager'requirement for a fighter to combat allied bombers.This never progressed beyond the drawing board.
I personally think this is the most aesthetically pleasing of all their designs.Whether it could have been flown without todays computer aids is another matter altogether.

left to right are first the Ho VII.This was designed as a trainer to acclimatize pilots to the forthcoming Ho IX jet.At least two examples were acquired by the allies at the end of the war.
Centre is the third iteration of the proposed Ho XVIII.The original design had six engines embedded in the wing.Because the project was too large to be manufactured in house the project was passed to a group mainstream companies.They had no faith in the brothers pure wing theories and insisted on the addition of a large central stabaliser.Thus the second design.
I'm wondering how the pre-YB-49 Northrop designs might have fared with the Whittle jet engine.
or how far the Horten brothers would have taken their designs given Northrops access to strategic materials 😁
One thing is for sure,this trio were well ahead of their time.

left to right are first the Ho VII.This was designed as a trainer to acclimatize pilots to the forthcoming Ho IX jet.At least two examples were acquired by the allies at the end of the war.
Centre is the third iteration of the proposed Ho XVIII.The original design had six engines embedded in the wing.Because the project was too large to be manufactured in house the project was passed to a group mainstream companies.They had no faith in the brothers pure wing theories and insisted on the addition of a large central stabaliser.Thus the second design.
What scale?
Long meandering explanation 😁1/72 was my first thought,but due to arthritic hands and loss of sight in one eye it was quickly discarde.1/48 and above worked out rather expensive so I compromised at 1/60.I'm not looking to achieve anything close to the standards displayed elsewhere on the forum,it's just a way to scratch an itch😁
'From my early teens until marriage and the ensuing kids I'd been a keen builder of r/c and free flight aircraft.Fast forward 40 years and I'm drawn back to a very absorbing hobby.I completed a few models,but found I was struggling with smaller piece.An eye test provided the reason why.
'The XVIII above proved to be my nemesis.As far as I know it has never been built as an r/c model.I commissioned a design and laser cut kit,but due to my worsening disabilities was unable to complete it.
'And so here I am🥴😁

Actually the models aren't too complex. Their shape is quite easy to make from scratch using a couple of different materials including the styrofoam for instance.

Actually the models aren't too complex. Their shape is quite easy to make from scratch using a couple of different materials including the styrofoam for instance.
The basic airframe could easily be made from foam,I've made quite a few proof of concept chuck gliders;the HoX was one notable example.That was made using XPS insulation foam,which is much denser and easier to shape than styrofoam.
'But the devil is in the detail,I would struggle to produce acceptable landing gear etc.

The small details also can be made from scratch. Just a matter of an idea how to make it.

My vacu P-39 Airacobra 1/72 scale model made years ago. The whole landing gear was made from scratch because the one that came with the kit wasn't able to carry the model weight. Both the main legs and the nose one including the struts and other details were made using of the warmed up and stretched pieces of a sprue.

p-39_1d-jpg.jpg

The small details also can be made from scratch. Just a matter of an idea how to make it.

My vacu P-39 Airacobra 1/72 scale model made years ago. The whole landing gear was made from scratch because the one that came with the kit wasn't able to carry the model weight. Both the main legs and the nose one including the struts and other details were made using of the warmed up and stretched pieces of a sprue.

View attachment 715539
Very nice!Im afraid such detailed fine work is well beyond my present capabilitie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back