Unofficial Bf 109-x GB: 1/72 Bf 109X

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Cheers guys.
Yeah, I've already sanded them down a bit, but they are still very thick. I will sand them a bit more, but didn't want to lose the aileron detail. Might just have to sacrifice it and scratch new rib detail, or remove them altogether, sand everything else down, and replace them with 109E or scratched ailerons. Decisions, decisions...

Like has been said before, the 1:72 kits have SOOO many more unique models to choose from. If only they would make the parts bigger! The entry tally for this build is impressive, cleaning out a bunch of space on some shelves; making room for more.

Cheers guys.

Almost Geo. Designed in case of a shortfall in DB601 engines, the initial prototype, the V-21, flew with a P&W Twin Wasp. The second prototype, the Bf 109X, received a BMW 801, but was ultimately dropped as the new Fw 190 was performing well with the same engine.

Last edited:
Not much time tonight, but started thinning the port wing. Aileron detail gone, but worth it.
(Not finished yet. Starboard wing shown to compare)
20240225_003908.jpg

20240225_003923.jpg

20240225_004244.jpg

In theory that would be better Vic, but in practice it hasn't worked in the past. I tried it once on my RS Models Magister and just ended up with an uneven trailing edge that wouldn't mate, with a gap that needs to filled and sanded from outside anyway. That halted that project and has put me off doing that again.

That said, I accept that may have just been a lack of skill on my part. Maybe it would work if you have a large sheet of sandpaper, and flat sand the whole thing at once. I will try that on a scrap kit to test the theory, as all RS and MPM kits seem to have this issue, of which I have a few.

Thanks for that Evan and if I ever come across that issue, I'll ponder your words and maybe, just maybe give it a go on the inside and that would also depend on the amount of external detail. :lol: :D

Just catching up Evan, and nice to see something unusual, and it's looking good so far.

Re the wing thinning on the interior - when I've done similar jobs, I first "shave" the surface in repeated, continuous "swipes", using the back of a new scalpel blade, held flat against the surface, at an angle of about 45 degrees.
Once done, the surface is then lightly flat-sanded.
The technique can also be used on the extreme trailing edge externally, if required, where the very tip of the edge is thinned, but the remainder is left untouched.
I used this technique to thin the exposed, open cowl edges on my current B-24 build.

Cheers guys.

Terry, I use a similar method for cowls etc. myself. I'll try that with the Magister's wings some time, plus the other kits with same issues. Cheers!

My son was modelmaking today and yesterday (Academy 1:144 Panavia Tornado), so just had time enough to blitz the starboard trailing edge. Still some minor clean up and extra thinning to do, but this is how she stands at moment.
(I will redetail the ailerons too)
20240225_222843.jpg

20240225_222907.jpg

Last edited:
Sanded trailing edges tonight, to the point of them being so thin they are brittle... lost the port trim tab in the process (will scratchbuild a new one).
Stopped for now and will review tomorrow. Don't want to ruin them!
Leading edges were filled a little too, still need to be flush sanded. Pics up when done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back