Which jet was better, the Me 262 or the Gloster Meteor?

Which is better, Me 262 or the Gloster Meteor?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Mano Ziegler thought otherwise. I wasn't there, so I rely on his book.
My memory is probably faulty, but I am sure that he mentioned a pilot that may not have been "dissolved" but surely was partially eaten away by the corrosive stuff.

There was mention of one pilot who suffered mortal wounds from exposure of C-stoff when his Komet had a rough landing and it inverted, spilling un-used C-Stoff into the cockpit. To what extent he was "dissovled", I don't know. But C-Stoff in it's own right, is very caustic, being a mixture of hydrazine hydrate, methyl alcohol and water.

Grievous burns were inflicted on crew members who weren't careful to keep small amount of T-Stoff from mixing with C-Stoff (splashed on their hands, clothing, containers, etc). This was also a hazard with the V-1 and V-2 programs, as they used T-Stoff and Z-Stoff to drive the V-1's catapault and the same mixture to drive the turbo pump aboard the V-2.

Nasty stuff...

Where in the thread topic does it say we absolutely have to pick wartime figures and be selective as to dates. I can only repeat what i have already pointed out. its Meteor versus Me 262, not Meteor MkIII vs Me 262, (the best figures I can find). We cant even say the me 262 was not contemporary to the F8. It was being built at the same time.

Much of what is being touted around here as fact is simply the post war hype that the Germans managed to manufacture after the surrender which also suited their American captors. The Me 262 was junk in my opinion, whereas the meteor was a much more sober, measured, and ultimately successful type that deserves far more credit than it ever gets recognition for. Thems the breaks I guess.
It's only fair to compare contemporary aircraft within a given period. Comparing anything else than the Meteor that was operational up until april 1945 against the Me 262 is illogical. You would not compare cars or motorcylces made years apart, as it it would be an uneven playing field. And you would not compare a wartime production plane with one made in peacetime. The Me 262 was not "junk" by any means, and was the only jet fighter to achieve success against a manned opponent. The Me 262 was made from poor quality materials, assembled in forest factories, or under the worst possible conditions, and flew and fought aginst totally overwhelming odds. Reverse the roles, and the Meteor Mk1 or 3, would have hardly done anywhere near as well. Had they met in combat, in Eric Browns words, it would have been "cats meat".

Not true the C Stoff and T Stoff could burn, bleach, boil, blind, poison and eventually give the pilot cancer but he wouldnt dissolve. Its very hard to dissolve a human being.
You will have to excuse my para-phrasing from literature read. It is more acurrate to state that the the fuel mix was fatally corrosive if the pilot became doused in enough of it. There are a number of incidents where the Komet simply exploded due to fuel leakage problems, and more pilots were killed by the aircrafts inherant faults than fell to enemy action.

You will have to excuse my para-phrasing from literature read. It is more acurrate to state that the the fuel mix was fatally corrosive if the pilot became doused in enough of it. There are a number of incidents where the Komet simply exploded due to fuel leakage problems, and more pilots were killed by the aircrafts inherant faults than fell to enemy action.

Very true it just worries me that the most common fact and often the only fact a lot of people "know" about the Komet is just so wrong. I worked briefly at a wood pulp paper works which used tons of Hydrogen Peroxide as a bleaching agent and before we were allowed on site we had a safety film showing the effects of chemical burns. Most of us just about kept our breakfast down with a fair bit of effort so I know its nasty stuff but no way will it dissolve a body just bleach it brilliant white or burn everything.

Neither mixture was good for you. Both contained some unpleasant chemicals.

It was as a defence to the hydrogen peroxide (T-Stoff) that the special PVC suits were worn by the pilots. T-Stoff was 80% hydrogen peroxide, 20% water by weight with traces of stabilisers added. It was extremely reactive and would burn the skin on contact. It had to be stored and handled very carefully. I've read somewhere that the Germans used special vessels lined with a ceramic. Contact with organic materials could cause spontaneous combustion. It's not going to dissolve you

C-Stoff was 57% methyl alcohol, 30% hydrazine hydrate, 13% water by weight. A catalyst was added to promote decomposition of the peroxide in T-Stoff. This was tripotassium copper tetracyanide (whatever you may have seen it written as elsewhere!) K3Cu(CN)4, known as catalyst 431, which is hardly an enigma code given that formula.
This is an unpleasant mixture and contact with the skin should definitely be avoided, hydrazine hydrate is a corrosive irritant which can cause burns. Severe exposure, if you got soaked in the mixture, might well be fatal. It's not going to dissolve you.

Mix them together and they will definitely go bang.

The ideal ratio of the two ( C-Stoff : T-Stoff) was 0.36 : 1. This gave a complete reaction of the fuel and oxidant, the exhaust gases were comparatively safe and inert, although the temperature of the jet efflux was in excess of 1800 degrees centigrade. You wouldn't want to stand behind the motor. Nitrogen, carbon dioxide and water (as very hot steam) are the only things that came out the back. In reality a little excess of T-Stoff was injected into the motor.

The hydrazine hydrate and peroxide react to give nitrogen and very hot steam.

2H2O2 + N2H4H2O = N2 + 5H2O

The methanol reacts with the peroxide to give carbon dioxide and more steam.

3H2O2 + CH3OH = CO2 + 5H2O

That plume of jet efflux visible as the Me 163 literally rockets into the air is just steam, you can't see the other gases.

Here endeth the chemistry lesson :) I knew all that work would be useful one day :)

Cheers

Steve

Well it was mostly very, very hot steam shooting out the arse end!

The C-Stoff was a fuel which combusted, causing the motor to run at such a high temperature. The combustion chamber of one of these motors would reach at about 1700 degrees centigrade. It would have been even hotter were it not for the water in the mixtures. It's actually the methyl alcohol component of C-Stoff which is the fuel. I think that the hydrazine hydrate must have been some kind of regulator to ensure a smoother reaction, but I'm not quite sure how it worked as I was an organic chemist, not a rocket scientist :)

A hydrogen peroxide motor, as used in some torpedoes for example, does not add the fuel but depends entirely on the decomposition of hydrogen peroxide (into steam and oxygen) in the presence of a catalyst. This is the principle of so called 'cold' motors, running at around 500 degrees centigrade.
Early 'cold' motors didn't use the 'catalyst 431' but a permanganate salt which gave the efflux a nice purple colour :)

Cheers

Steve

Getting back to the Me 262/Meteor debate, I just read in one of Chris Chants' Luftwaffe books that the initial encounter between the Me 262 and the Mosquito took place two days before 616 Sqadron was made operational. While popular belief still puts the Me 262 as the FIRST operational Jet fighter, the threads found on this site state that the Meteor was operational first. I know I am splitting hairs here, but are we talking about individual aircraft getting the first shot off, or a whole Sqadron being officially made operational? Some specific dates would be great if someone has them.

First Meteor was delivered to 616 Squadron at Culmhead on 12 July 1944 followed by a move to Manston on 21 July 1944 with a total of 7 Meteors.

On 19 April 1944, Ekdo 262 was formed as a test unit for training and testing, but flew sorties as well. On 26 July 1944, a Me262 from that unit encountered a recon Mosquito, resulting in the Mosquito being damaged.

So the timeline is very close and while some say that Ekdo 262 was a training unit, it did fly combat missions. Technically speaking, the 616 Squadron was also conducting training during this time as well.

First Meteor was delivered to 616 Squadron at Culmhead on 12 July 1944 followed by a move to Manston on 21 July 1944 with a total of 7 Meteors.

On 19 April 1944, Ekdo 262 was formed as a test unit for training and testing, but flew sorties as well. On 26 July 1944, a Me262 from that unit encountered a recon Mosquito, resulting in the Mosquito being damaged.

So the timeline is very close and while some say that Ekdo 262 was a training unit, it did fly combat missions. Technically speaking, the 616 Squadron was also conducting training during this time as well.
Thanks for that. Did the 262 damage the Mosquito before the Meteor downed the first V1? I recall the 262 hit the Mosquito with cannon fire, while the Meteor s guns jammed and had to flip the V1 off balance to claim it. The dates are pretty close, and it all seemed to happen about the same time. Does anyone know when the Meteor was christened the "Meatbox"? I've read it was after hundreds of pilots were killed during immediate postwar training, but this info only comes from periodicals, and not substantiated texts. I'm also unsure if it was the Mk 3 that bore the brunt of accidents as well. It does appear that far more Meteor pilots were killed in non combat situations ( ie accidents), albeit for a variety of reasons. Come to think of it, are there any figures for YP80-A pilot fatalities during and immediately after WW2?

Last edited:
He-162

...The call for a Volksjager(people's fighter) is an astonishing late- war accomplishment that went from drawing board to flight in only three months. This very hurried project (code-named "Salamander") managed to produce the Heinkel 162, "unique in the history of aviation as the only aircraft in which development, pre-production prototypes and main production lines were started almost simultaneously and proceeded in parallel." Curious in the design is the location of the jet engine, mounted on top of the fuselage directly above and behind the cockpit; this motivated the installation of a simple ejection seat, reflecting that the pilots were more highly valued than the aircraft itself.

The aircraft itself was very effective as a fighter interceptor, equalling the Me-262. In some ways it was superior: "The BMW engine proved to be far less sensitive to throttle movments than those of the Me 262, though still prone to flameouts. This allowed the He 162 to be flown up to the limits of the pilot's confidence in the aircraft, unlike the Me 262 whose engines restricted much in the way of maneuvers." It was very fast and well armed. However, it had a problem of having a very short flight time of 30 minutes, and many operational losses were due to running out of fuel.

Despite its rapid development and excellent qualities, it was another case of too little too late for the Luftwaffe. The production program was planned to put out 4,000 aircraft per month, but only a few hundred were in fact produced because of the success of the Allied bombing campaign. Although a very few He-162s did see action over Germany in April 1944, the fighter essentially had no impact on the war.

il2guide

Galland didn't share in the above regard for the viability of the 162 as an interceptor.

Regards,

Magnon
Just found this and had to reply briefly, as it is some way back. The He 162 was a total waste of time, and amounted to nothing but a drain on resources , pilots and the final defence of the Reich. It achieved absolutely nothing operationally, killed more pilots than were lost to enemy action, and was nothing more than an act of desperation. No way would they have been able to achieve the limited success the 262 did. Galland and Messerschmitt were right.

Does anyone know when the Meteor was christened the "Meatbox"? I've read it was after hundreds of pilots were killed during immediate postwar training, but this info only comes from periodicals, and not substantiated texts.

These were the days when sex was safe and flying was dangerous.

In 1953 two Meteor pilots were killed flying displays on BoB day . It didn't cause the furore it would today. In 1953 total RAF casualties world wide were 483 aircraft lost with 333 fatalities. These figures are difficult to comprehend today.
In the years leading up to this the figures for aircraft written off and fatalities look like this.

cat3 fatalities
1946 1014 677
1947 420 176
1948 424 224
1950 380 238
1951 490 280
1952 507 318
1953 483 333

'Meatbox' is just a reflection of a macabre humour in the face of figures like these.

Cheers

Steve

These were the days when sex was safe and flying was dangerous.

In 1953 two Meteor pilots were killed flying displays on BoB day . It didn't cause the furore it would today. In 1953 total RAF casualties world wide were 483 aircraft lost with 333 fatalities. These figures are difficult to comprehend today.
In the years leading up to this the figures for aircraft written off and fatalities look like this.

cat3 fatalities
1946 1014 677
1947 420 176
1948 424 224
1950 380 238
1951 490 280
1952 507 318
1953 483 333

'Meatbox' is just a reflection of a macabre humour in the face of figures like these.

Cheers

Steve
Those figures are a bit depressing for peacetime . The 677 fatalities in 1946 are the same as quoted in the periodical that I read, and in a previous post it was remarked that this high number was due to "engine out" training that the RAF insisted on doing with the Meteor. That's a lot more planes and crew lost in "accidents" than the Me 262, but to be fair, there were a lot more Meteors flying as well, so it has to be taken subjectively.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back