**** DONE: 1/48 Tornado F3 - Home Country Modern Aircraft / Spitfire Mark GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks very much for the kind words chaps!
I think this kit is starting to affect me, as the workmanship is nowhere near my usual standards. Ah, well, it'll all be over soon - I hope!
Here's where things are at the moment.
PIC 1. The wing sweep pneumatic seals are sort of painted - bl**dy difficult to get in at this angle. Note that all the 'blotches' of darker grey on the fuselage in various areas are the beginning of weathering, and will be, er ... refined ...later.
PICS 2 to 4. The landing gear legs in place, having been given a coat of clear gloss. Some plastic tabs have been cemented into the main gear wells, in order to fit the gear doors. I've decided not to add any plumbing to the wheel bays, as I can't be bl**dy bothered, so there!
PIC 5. The 'solid' landing lamps were drilled out, the rear mounting plate etched in, and the lamps chromed with a silver paint pen, then glazed with 'Kristal Klear'. The somewhat thick plastic of the doors themselves was etched and filed back, to create a rebate and lip, more in keeping with the real thing.
That's it for now, I'll post another up-date after another tub of Valium, and meanwhile I'm off to start on the Halifax .....

Attachments

• Tornado GB 374.jpg
    Tornado GB 374.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 101
  • Tornado GB 384.jpg
    Tornado GB 384.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 95
  • Tornado GB 376.jpg
    Tornado GB 376.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 97
  • Tornado GB 377.jpg
    Tornado GB 377.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 114
  • Tornado GB 386.jpg
    Tornado GB 386.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 100
Thanks Andy and Matt - makes me feel a bit better after working on this Hippocroccofrog of a kit !

Thanks Wayne, means a lot. I don't know if it's just this kit, my hands, or a combination of both, but this is one of those which happens now and again, thankfully rarely, where nearly everything seems to be done a bit ham fisted!

You can blame everything on the kit Terry, it was Airfix at their lowest ebb and I will support you on this kit to the end. Thank goodness they have woken up and lifted their game.

As for your progress mate, it can't be faulted.....
b0227.gif

Thanks very much indeed Vic - good to know I'm not going daft. (OK, going more daft than I am already!).
I've just moved the Buccaneer, and had a close look at it (must finish it some day). As you'll remember, I thought the Buc was a B****rd to build, but comparing it to the Tornado, kit for kit, it's 200% better, and all the problems with it seem minor compared to the Tornado.
Now, what profanity, starting with the letter 'T', can I award the Tornado I wonder ........

Cheers mate! Having a rest from the Tornado for a day or so, in order to commence the Halifax build for mike - thread will be in the 'Start to Finish' section.

Thanks very much Wayne, Geo and Aaron. I hope to continue with the 'fiddly' bits, probably over the weekend, once I've made inroads on the Halifax project. A liitle more has been done, but nothing worth showing yet.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back