**** DONE: 1/72 Blenheim Mk.IV - Heavy Hitters II GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys. I don't have KK in my arsenal, so I'll have to use the old white glue, tonight. Then I gotta figure out a way to mask without buggering up the canopy when it's attached!

Thanks guys.............. then before gluing up I took another close look at fit..... cuz I know how I am.

Had to add some filler in the nose above the observer glass, the glass is a little proud of the frame.
Then the opening behind and above the pilot for the rolling back of the overhead glass was too big, the glass was just suspended in mid air. So had to add some one the opening to support this. Then there was a little dip at one corner, filled with SG.

So many difficulties in this build. Is this common for Airfix kits????? It's driving me to distraction!
I sailor on.

Attachments

• GB18 Dvdsn Blenhm 29.jpg
    GB18 Dvdsn Blenhm 29.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 78
Thanks guys............. this is getting to be like the Never Ending Story.

Getting paint ready, was gonna put the base coat on the wings before attaching.
Then noticed I had no clearance lights. So now a few more minutes on them, another little delay!

Pretty soon I Will run out of things to do to it!!!!!!!

Attachments

• GB18 Dvdsn Blenhm 30.jpg
    GB18 Dvdsn Blenhm 30.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 75
Good stuff Bill.
Although the problems can't really be described as common to all Airfix kits, in this instance, the kit dates from the mid 1960's, with all that entails.
The company are in the process of slowly re-tooling most (probably all) of the more popular, older kits, some of which date back to 1952 !
They did go through a period, a few years back, where some then new kits, moulded 'overseas', although well detailed, suffered from horrendous fit problems with main components - the Buccaneer and Tornado F3, in 48th scale, being examples.

Styrene, putty, sand :D Do it some more until shes perfect :D :) hehehe you gotta love these harder builds and its looking real good :D :)

When I tackle one of the older Arfix kits I pretty much expect what you're going through Bill. I just set my mind to it and do what it takes to build the kit. The trick is knowing it going in, you have to think of it as a challenge. It's the kits that you think are good, than need all the extra work that get under my skin

I am told that some of the after market canopies were made using the original airfix canopies as templates rather than being made to fit the finished kit and this why even some after market parts don't fit perfectly. A lot of older airfix kits are really nice like the Sterling, Marauder, or Liberator but some like the Blenheim are absolute stinkers. I have made the Blenheim myself and found it just to much trouble although better than the old Heller Mk 1 kit which is bland and featureless. You have done a wonderful job with your Blenheim and I am very impressed. Here are both my Blenheims for comparison, both kits were manufactured the 1970's and the transfers were unusable. They both look pretty rubbish but I will go back and improve them when my patience is restored
airfix 005.JPG
airfix 008.JPG

Just the kit in general regarding fits. Vac form canopy is not too bad.

The opening at the top is my fault, but I needed to put the filler in for the bl00dy slide tracks for the glass, cuz it looks silly without them! But I do have That sorted.

Clearance lights are fini! Finally ready to attach the canopy, I think?

Last edited:
Okay, canopy is attached. Rails for the top opening glass is attached and rear turret is sorted.
Masking canopy is next, then attach wings and bl00dy well PAINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• GB18 Dvdsn Blenhm 31.jpg
    GB18 Dvdsn Blenhm 31.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 92

Users who are viewing this thread

Back