**** DONE: 1/72 Lockheed P-38H Lightning - Heavy Hitters II GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Inching along.more filling, and sanding, tryng to get the surfaces as true as i can make them. Removed the prop assemblies.Because i put a plastic dowel in the starboard tail boom for strength and make the boom glue true, it upset the balance of the model, and it would no longer sit on the nosewheel. To correct this, after i had removed the old props i put a ton more leadbehind the props in the engine nacelles. Appears to have restored the balance

I feel im getting closer now to being able to respray the boom. I have some more cleanup of the tail assembly, but the surfaces are starting to look okay i think. Please comment if you think differently. it will be difficult, but not impossible to prevent overspray of the rest of the model....which i have to be careful of

Once i get the surfaces done, i will respray, re-attach the props, finish the decals, seal the thing up, put in the aerials, and then declare it finished.....thats the plan at least.

Attachments

• 102_2626.jpg
    102_2626.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 62
  • 102_2627.jpg
    102_2627.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 64
  • 102_2628.jpg
    102_2628.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 59
Keep working, just a tad more to go on her :)

Well, here is the completed model, more or less, and im posting the "dry run" completed shots for my 'finished' thread. im fairly happy,though the repair stuff did finish up causing me to sc8w up the aerial array and the rear canopy. Decals are okay, but I could have done better with the red tail flashes, plus despite my best efforts there is some small signs still of silvering particulalry of the nose art.

This is not a model i intend to keep. The kit was given to me by a friend of my older son (the 30 yo), I want to give it back to him as a sign of appreciation to some stuff he has done for my son over the years, plus it just doesnt fitinto my FAA theme at all.

but its a very impressive aircraft (not my model, the real thing), and both Tilley and Macguire were exceptional men,albeit in vastly different ways. The lastshots show how size wiseit compares to other aircraaft in the 1/72 scale.....it is more comparable to the grumman, than it is to the spitfire V beside it.....a very large aircraft for a fighter in WWII

Attachments

• final 1.jpg
    final 1.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 69
  • final 2.jpg
    final 2.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 89
  • final 3.jpg
    final 3.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 72
  • final 4.jpg
    final 4.jpg