DONE: Corsair Mk II, JT634, 13-7/P, 1834 FAA Sqn, HMS Victorious, Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hello gents!

So now with school pretty much done, I'm going to crack open ye ol' Trumpeter 1/32 Corsair (again) and build it up as a Corsair Mk II (British equivalent of the F4U-1A, except with clipped wings). Will enter this in Catagory 2.....

I have to make a few fixes, such as new landing gear cover doors. I believe I cleared it with Terry in another thread, as I've built the cockpit and part of the engine, but I think he said I'd be good to go as there really isn't much done. I will be painting like a Corsair Mk II based on the HMS Unicorn in July 1944. The decals I will be using are Techmod.

Corsairpano-1.jpg

One thing I'm not sure about is in the decal instructions it shows there NOT being a roundel painted over, but in the Kagero book it obviously has one. I would assume that Kagero would be correct, but does anyone have any information about this plan that I haven't been able to find? Also, if Kagero IS correct, how would I go about doing that?

Last edited by a moderator:
This should be a good one Cory, looking forward to the progress.
Do you mean over-painted fuselage roundels? If so, you could cut off the bars from the US roundels, apply the roundel part of the decal, then paint over that in the appropriate colour. Once that's done, then apply the correct roundel over the top. Should end up looking like what it's supposed to, a new roundel over a painted-out old one.

No probs, it'll still give the same effect, as it's just the 'circle' of fresher paint that will show. But, if you want some 1/32nd scale, or near as makes no difference, RAF 'C Type' roundels, I THINK I might have some, just let me know.

Look's like a good choice Cory, just remember if you are going for accuracy you need a picture to compare the profile to....if not well it doesn't matter then!

One of my pet peeves is profiles in books without a photo reference to compare the artists interpretation.....

bit short of cash decals are almost £5 but another £3.50 for delivery so am thinking of getting a 1/48 kit for same price ! i
'm still wavering at the mo so we'll see on pay day next week, because i really want to do my corsair as a FAA bird

Ah, I see. I don't really have any concept of the pound, so when I see £5 it doesn't mean a whole lot to me (meaning when I found them I didn't know if they were pricy or not). Unfortunately I used the only ones applicable to an F4U that I have on MY F4U, so I can't send you any.

Thanks Wojtek! I have to remake a few parts as they are completely incorrect, and then hopefully I'll start painting soon! Still a bit to do before then though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back