**** DONE: GB-36 1:48 Macchi C.205 ( 2 ) - Axis Manufactured Aircraft of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys. Did the RLM74 and removed the masks. No bleed under....no paint lifted....very happy. I did manage to over shoot a few spots at the wing root which I'll have to respray and a few light ones along the fuselage but it's very heavily mottled in the area so I'm not concerned.

IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0007.JPG

Did a test with a sample.....close enough for me.

IMG_0008.jpg

I should have done it with the right wing tip as this side was right under the light and the right side looks a bit darker

Thanks guys. That I do Andy. My biggest problem right now is figuring out masking prep and spraying sequence. I think I should have shot the spine colors first and then the main camo. Just letting the touch-ups dry and then mottles

Very nice paint finish Geo, and as noted, it's evident you've got to grips with the squirty stick.
Normally, when I plan a spraying sequence, I try to do the lighter colours first, especially if this is the 'main' colour, and then figure out which areas of this colour will need masking, not only for demarcation, but to prevent overspray getting onto areas where it shouldn't. These will more likely be the bottoms of the tail-planes and the fuselage around that area, perhaps the fuselage near wing roots, etc, etc.
It might involve a lot of extra masking, over and above what's needed for the colour scheme masking, but well worth the time and effort.

Thanks all. Tried to make head or tail out of Italeri's interpretation of the mottles.....lots and lots of little ones but that doesn't quite look right on my photo so I went searching. As seen on aircraft from the same squadron in the photos below, its not so much mottling (though there are some) but more of an overspray to cover up the RLM 76 on the sides. Definitely mottles on the tail section up to the fuselage stripe and then it seems the guy painting got bored with spraying little dots, said screw it and then started waving the airbrush around. At least that's my interpretation.

521687_4b442c58914fdcc25a2cf536955a4de4.jpg

521688_7d9b7bb3457ab738827ce7d072feb1c4.jpg

test.JPG
test1.JPG
test2.JPG

Mottling done....sort of. Happy with my first attempt.....sort of. Had some airbrush issue when I started spraying on the right side. I'd pull the trigger back and nothing. Pointed the brush down at my practice piece and it would spray; back at the model....nothing, repeat several times. Very odd. It finally started spraying but as you can see, quite heavy at first. What's the best way to tone these down without redoing the whole thing?

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

Thanks guys. As per Kirby's advice I loaded up my AB with a 1:1 mix and dropped the PSI down about 10ish. Pretty happy with it. The before/after shot...

2-jpg.jpg

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0008.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

So, if it pleases the court, I'll set this aside and get back to the smoke rings on (1)

Blowing smoke rings from the ol' pipe! Looking really nice. maybe one day I'll get the hang of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back