**** DONE: GB-49 1/48 Bf109K-4 - Favourite A/C of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys. Lost a bit of motivation lately, which usually happens when I try to hide seams. I'll hopefully get back at it soon.

I finished off the shoulder belts today and primed the cowl area to check the seam work. First, the belts. I fashioned two triangular attachment points from lead wire and pinched them into the loops on the shelf.

21021912.jpg

The belts themselves were stuck together from bits of masking tape on my cutting mat. They look rough in this close-up but will do fine looking through the closed Erla hood.

21021913.jpg

And, stuck in place:

21021914.jpg

Here's where I was at as of yesterday on the seam work. The cavity on the nose cowl has been filled and the misalignment at the front has been addressed.

21021911.jpg

After rescribing and riveting, I primed the area to check my work and show this as I saw it before addressing some issues. The rescribed seam needs to be cleaned up and my riveting wheel slid into the old seam under the soft paint so I'll need to redo this.

21021915.jpg
21021916.jpg

Back when I get this done.

Thanks Dave.

While waiting for small bits of primer to dry at the seams, I launched into modifying the wheel wells before my better sense could intervene. It seems that gone with these late war 109s were the leather closures and so the back of the wells would have been open to view. At left below can be seen the kit representation, with two saw cuts already made. At right is the modified well with bits of card added and the lightening holes drilled out on the strut tunnel.

21022111.jpg

A closer view shows that I also thinned the plastic at the open edge to make it look a bit more realistic.

21022112.jpg
21022113.jpg

According to my Japo book on the 109K, wheel wells would have been painted in RLM 66 or possibly 76, though it's possible that they might have also been unpainted. So, at least I know now that the 02 that I had on there is probably not right.

Thanks guys.

Cutouts added to the wheel wells using very thin plastic card. I traced the outline of the cutouts with a circle template then cut it out with a punch and circle cutter. With the wing uppers dry-fitted, the cutouts were moved around until properly aligned and then glued. The one on the right was a bit narrow so I had to add thin stripes to the outsides. The added strips will be mostly hidden but the gaps were noticeable.

21022411.jpg

More details to come in this area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back