**** DONE: GB-54 1/48 Nakajima B5N2 Kate - Pacific Theatre

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Guys and put away them onions.....

Have gone over the green mottle again to darken it up a bit and Also Flat coated the other Kate and canopy, while the Primary is still in Gloss.

And an explanation for you Andy....
The "Yellow" as you put it is actually the OTHER base Colour used on IJN aircraft of the period besides the Grey Green, it is I3 'Tsuchi-Iro an Earth colour variously described as Mustard, Grey Poupon, Tan and Brown Colours to name a few….

In late October 1941 the order came down to apply paint to the Kido Butai (First Air Fleet) aircraft, that is the Kates and Vals as they were mostly all in their Pre-War Silver/Natural Metal with RED Tails.
The Zeroes were already factory painted in the Grey Green Colour.
The Kates and Vals were spread out at various airfields on Kyushu for their Pearl Harbour training and were to use the available paints at those airfields, some had the Grey Green while others had the I3 Colour available.
It was then further determined that the slower moving Kates should have a further application of Dark Green applied to their upper surfaces.
The Kates aboard Akagi, Kaga and Zuikaku all had the Green applied entirely over their upper surfaces, while some? Or all? Of Soryu and Hiryu's Kates possibly had a Heavy mottled Green with some of the I3 showing through as was reported by some witnesses of Green and 'Brown' mottle.

Finally Shokaku Kates stood out from the rest of the Kates of the other Carriers by applying a Squiggled/Mottled Dark Green pattern over the wings, and upper rear fuselage flowing onto the horizontal stabilisers.
The Dark Green has been reported as a Matt Dark Green, while the Grey Green and I-3 colours were Gloss along with the National Insignia, Hinomaru.
Shokaku Kates also did not carry the Large underwing Aircraft ID Codes that can seen on other aircraft of the other Carriers.
Hope this give you some more insight to IJN aircraft....

58_Extra Green Mottle_0963.jpg
59_Extra Green Mottle_0972.jpg
60_Flat coat_0967.jpg
61_Flat Coat_0971.jpg

Incredibly wonderful workmanship there Wayne. Simply beautiful! Good info but now my brain hurts from reading too much and the onions 🌰

Last edited:
Thanks Guys,

Andy, you see my note for you in post#104?

George, I always date my paint purchases so I know how long I have had them and how I should use them, that is older bottles over time may have tiny dried paint flecks floating around in them after opening and closing lots of times so I will put the paint through a strainer to make sure I don't get the bits stuck in the airbrush.

I think I need some paint labels dating back to 1974...

Thanks Guys,

Andy, you see my note for you in post#104?

George, I always date my paint purchases so I know how long I have had them and how I should use them, that is older bottles over time may have tiny dried paint flecks floating around in them after opening and closing lots of times so I will put the paint through a strainer to make sure I don't get the bits stuck in the airbrush.

Sorry Wayne, I missed that post. Thanks for directing me back and for taking the time to explain the "yellow" colour. Makes sense what you said.

Cheers Andy, and thanks fellas...

Ok the Land Bombs used by the Kates, have had their appropriate decal markings applied, Blue Band and red stripes and glossed and flat coated and attached to the Bomb racks.
prop assemblies also painted. glossed, decalled, glossed again and finally flat coated too...

66_Decals & Gloss_0996.jpg
67_Flat Coat & Bomb Racks_1005.jpg
68_Prop Assemblies Done_1000.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back