**** DONE: GB-57 1/48 US Spitfire Mk.IXc - WW2 Foreign Service

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I still remember those from two GBs ago. A wee bit over engineered.
I find that in general Eduard is a bit more the WEE BIT over engineered, that being said they have gotten better and re done some of their catalog with some re de engineering. So good on them and still a fine kit...

Don't disagree with that Wee Bit Don...

bit more done, worked on getting the radiator housings done and in place....

15_Wing Radiator Assy_2012.jpg
16_Radiator Assy Painted_2051.jpg
17_Radiator Assy painted_2052.jpg
18_Radiator Assy Fitted_2057.jpg
19_Radiator Dry Fit_2016.jpg

Good stuff Wayne. Not sure that flare rack should be there though but Terry might set me straight.

I believe the flare rack was absent from Spitfires after the Mk I, except for Seafires? There shouldn't be on in my recently completed Mk V, but I didn't know this at the time. Sure Terry can confirm.

Tidy looking pit. I'm always impressed by how people can assemble practically the whole thing and then paint it up; I do all the bits individually then stick them together, am I making life hard for myself?

Tidy looking pit. I'm always impressed by how people can assemble practically the whole thing and then paint it up; I do all the bits individually then stick them together, am I making life hard for myself?
I think it is a matter of what is comfortable for you, one has to consider age, eye sight, a steady hand and most of all how tolerant and patient one is particularly in close and cramped painting space. For myself, it's 50/50. :D

well...I'm no Spitty expert so set me straight.....I had some time in between P-38 stuff so whacked the seat assembly together from the Eduard instructions...
easy enough to get rid of....

Yep, the flare rack was deleted from the seat. The Mk.I had a metal seat, and when the composite seat was introduced, the rack was deleted.
That said, it could still be present on some Mk.II and early Mk.V airframes, using the metal seat, although fairly rare by then. Note that a metal seat was re-introduced from the Mk.IX onwards, I think from mid production blocks, as there had been cases of the composite seat collapsing under high "g" with the more powerful later Mark Spits.
However, it was still possible to see the composite seat on later Marks.
Some restored Spits include the rack, which is probably why some kit manufacturers persist in reproducing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back