**** DONE: GB-59 1/48 CAC Boomerang – WW2 PTO V

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The Kiwi Wings decals came yesterday so this build is on again.
I put the wing cannon on last night and brushed on a coat of Future. Might be doing decals tonight.
I'm a little worried about the engraved panel lines, they are very faint and I don't think they will hold a wash. I think I might be using pencil instead.

20231025_213622.jpg
20231025_213731.jpg

I put all the Kiwi Wings decals on last night and I was NOT impressed with them. The carrier film was continuous so they all had to be closely trimmed and they did not stick worth a damn. Solvaset had absolutely no effect on them, and they would not settle into panel lines of conform to curves. All had to be glued down with Future and then the curling edges pressed down as the Future began to get tacky. In the end they looked fine except the right-side codes which have some silvering, but I would not recommend them.

20231026_210545.jpg

Looks great Glenn, you did well and I did wonder about the decals, to me the sheet looked a bit yellowed with age as though they had been around for a goodly while. :D

I think looking quite good. Cant see what you see just a lamp reflection but to me...

The angle and lighting in that picture didn't really show the silvering. I sprayed on the dullcoat last night and it really stood out. I haven't had silvering happen like this since I was in grade school putting decals directly on flat paint. Several years ago I started putting on decals that I suspected might silver using Future to wet the surface instead of water and have never had any silvering.
I did that with these decals and got nothing but silvering. I would defiantly NOT recommend Kiwi Wings decals.
I have a plan to make it look at least a little bit better that I will try out tonight.

20231029_200604.jpg
20231029_200717.jpg
20231029_200807.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back