**** DONE: Hurricane Mk1, L1807, DU-X, 312 (Czech)Sqn, RAF, October 1940 Group Build.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Looking forward to more Terry. I think that your logic that it likely might have been possible with a bit of luck that the wings were metal is impeccable!

Great start.........at last!
However, many of these early Hurricanes had the outer wing sections replaced with the metal wings, especially if they had undergone major overhaul or repair. From the available photographs of the Squadron's aircraft at the time (in the early serial block), it's not possible to definitely ascertain if the wings had been replaced, although one shot suggests they might have been on at least one airframe. So, I've taken a gamble, and made the decision that L1807 very likely might have possibly with a bit of luck had the 'new' wings fitted - perhaps!!
Love the logic Terry!!

It was a great technical struggle, but the logic proves that any thing is possible - maybe, if in luck!
Thanks guys, I might have some more progress to show later tonight.

More progress, and getting towards the main construction.
The cockpit area has now been painted, and the instrument panel decal added, and the fuselage and wings have been joined.
PIC 1 Shows the starboard cockpit wall, with the added detail now painted. As little can be seen through the relatively narrow opening in this scale, the additions are more to create a sense of depth than anything else. To this end, the lower portion of the walls have been painted in 'raw' Humbrol 78, Cockpit Green, to give a darker, shadowed appearance, with the upper sections and the bulkhead and seat painted in 78 lightened with white, for a more 'scale colour' appearance.
PIC 2. The port wall similarly painted, and with the instrument panel added, using the kit decal.
PIC 3. The bulkhead, seat and 'floor' have received ther same treatment, with the floor being even darker. This is because there wasn't a true floor in the Hurricane, the heel boards being mounted onto the tubular frames of the fuselage, with the top of the wing below this. The use of the darker colours, blending into the lightened Cokpit Green just below one of the frame members, gives an impression of depth, and reduces the artificial 'flat' appearance of the cockpit. The control column has had the grip hollowed out, and the moulded brake lever replaced by a piece of stretched sprue, with a thinner length being used to simulate the pneumatic hose.
PIC 4. The fuselage has been joined, and the seams sanded, with some engraving completed around the cowling joints. A liitle filler is still required around the upper fuselage seam, and this will be done once the wing has been fitted, which will also need a small amount of filling around the joints.
PIC 5. The wing has been joined, and is shown here just dry-fitted to the fuselage, to check what needs doing in the way of sanding and filling.
Next step is to fit the wing and tail planes, complete any filling and sanding, and then fit the radiator and supercharger intake, before preparing fore the first painting stage.
Thanks for your interest and compliments, and I'll post some more pics soon.

Attachments

• BoB Hurri build 020.jpg
    BoB Hurri build 020.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 91
  • BoB Hurri build 026.jpg
    BoB Hurri build 026.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 93
  • BoB Hurri build 023.jpg
    BoB Hurri build 023.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 94
  • BoB Hurri build 035.jpg
    BoB Hurri build 035.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 84
  • BoB Hurri build 033.jpg
    BoB Hurri build 033.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 88
Thanks very much guys. There's not a lot to this kit, so progress has been fairly quick. The painting and weathering will take more time though.

I'm liking it Terry. Tell me, are the lower cockpit frames supposed to be bare aluminum or were they int green? For my future reference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back