Potential China military base in Solomons (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I found your entire post interesting, but am especially curious about this point. Do you have any further reading you could suggest so that I could get more insight? I'm aware of the dissatisfaction over Covid zero-tolerance, but was unaware about coal shortages and housing issues and would like to learn more.
Not further reading per se, but these two YouTube channels provide well researched daily updates on the Chinese and world economies, without political bias or click-bait hysteria; Joe Blogs and China Update.

Now You know how Russia feels about having Ukraine as a member of NATO next door. :)
If I was China I'd be going northward, not south. Cancel the 1991 Sino-Soviet Border Agreement, copy Russia's playbook and claim that ethnic Chinese in the now disputed border areas need protection. This could include the historically Chinese regions of the Amur Oblast and Primorsky Krai. Roughly, the regions that neighbor China are home to 4.3 million Russians, where 109 million Chinese live across the border.

If taking Taiwan is beginning to look like an impossibility, President Xi could see the absolute paper tiger that is Russia, orchestrate the justification and then seize some of the border territory. What's Russia or the USA going to say or do? Moscow is not going to launch nukes against a nuclear armed China, and the USA will likely call up Beijing to make a new friend.

In 2014, Japan failed sales promotion of the Soryu class submarine to Australia.
Japanese media analysed it like this -

"China is by far the number one export partner for Australia, with 57% having a "good impression" and 33% having a "bad impression" of China in polls. It would be a nuisance to be misunderstood to adopt a Japanese submarine and join the anti-China alliance, so it is possible that they dared to partner with France."

Source: 日本の中国嫌いが徒に?潜水艦売り込み失敗の真相
Original text in Japanese

1. A base in the Solomons that would allow Chinese aircraft to strike Australia is a base in the Solomans that can be struck by Australian aircraft and missiles, both land and sea-based. That base is a much more concentrated target than the continent of Australia. Much easier to take out in a single strike as it sits, unmoveable, while the Royal Australian Navy's new, nuclear-powered submarines sneak up on it.

When? In 2060?

The switch to buying nuclear subs happened last year. An evaluation process, expected to last 18 months, was announced at that time, but whether that has started I do not know.

As of now there is no definite purchase plan or ETA for the subs, except for a rubbery estimate that the first one should be available by 2040.

3, China's success rate in establishing dominance over ports and other major facilities in impoverished Asian and African countries isn't that great. Recently a small number of countries caught up in the Chinese debt traps have experienced abrupt changes of government, usually violent, with the new leadership showing China the door. That could be potentially significant in the Solomans where the leader of one of the strongest provinces is in heated opposition to the national government. It is definitely a "watch this space" situation.

China has a port in Darwin.

Most Australian governments seem to view public assets as things to be sold. The NT government sold the Darwin port to a Chinese company on a 99 year lease a few years ago. The federal government, the same as the one today, said OK and waved the sale through.

Now we are in an election campaign the federal government is trying to sell a plan to build a second port in Darwin, for exporting raw materials, mainly to China, through a port that is not owned by Chinese interests.

Chinese interests also have shares in privatised electricity and gas networks in Australia.

In 2014, Japan failed sales promotion of the Soryu class submarine to Australia.
Japanese media analysed it like this -

"China is by far the number one export partner for Australia, with 57% having a "good impression" and 33% having a "bad impression" of China in polls. It would be a nuisance to be misunderstood to adopt a Japanese submarine and join the anti-China alliance, so it is possible that they dared to partner with France."

Source: 日本の中国嫌いが徒に?潜水艦売り込み失敗の真相
Original text in Japanese

Then PM Abbott went to Japan and then came back with a deal to build new subs in Japan. Without any tendering or evaluation process.

When the evaluation process took place, electoral issues rose in importance, and a requirement was added for a certain percentage of the subs to be built in Australia. It is likely that the percentage to be built in Australia was what swayed the decision in favour of the French (I don't think the Japanese were too keen on the idea).

Then PM Abbott went to Japan and then came back with a deal to build new subs in Japan. Without any tendering or evaluation process.

When the evaluation process took place, electoral issues rose in importance, and a requirement was added for a certain percentage of the subs to be built in Australia. It is likely that the percentage to be built in Australia was what swayed the decision in favour of the French (I don't think the Japanese were too keen on the idea).
Thanks for your kind comment wuzak.
A viewpoint for the importance of strategic partnership in the Pacific looked being forgotten in the selection to me at that time. I do not know Mr. Abbott's reputation or popularity there but he looked understanding it well though resigned as PM soon.

Thanks for your kind comment wuzak.
A viewpoint for the importance of strategic partnership in the Pacific looked being forgotten in the selection to me at that time. I do not know Mr. Abbott's reputation or popularity there but he looked understanding it well though resigned as PM soon.

He didn't resign, he was challenged and beaten for the leadership of the party, and thus the prime ministership.

He lost his seat in parliament in the 2019 election.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back