USN VCS-7 Spitfire Mk Vb

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks for the input. My quess is that the first phot is 4 Z. All of the photos I have found have been 4Q, 4R, 4X, and 4Z. I ran across a photo of a crashed VCS-7 bird and a decal sheet for a Bristish Sqdrn that was in the 2nd TAF photo pool. I will end up paining the marking on the plane. Spitfies Mk Vbs with 3 and 6 stacks were both used. I wanted to make 4X because that would be the easiest one to paint but the model is a 3 stack. I have noticed in several photos that the black strip nearest the tail is thicker than the other black strip. I do not know if this was by design or just a result of the rush job. I need to get back to work on the bird.

DBII

Last edited:
I picked up a digital camera on sale over the weekend. It even has a macro setting. All I have to do now is figure out how to upload from the memory chip.

DBII

Great news about the camera DB. Normally, just plug-in the USB cable from the camera to the computer, and it should find the hardware and create a handling programme. Then, when you want to transfer the pics, just plug-in, and download to a file of your choice, and take it from there.

It is like this, H man. I have two old computers and their is no usb port in one, the other has a usb port but no dvd drive. I picked up an internal drive over the weekend and went to install it. Guess what no cables to hook up the thing. Now I have to make another trip to the store...lol. I will see if I can find the device you posted. I am afraid that my most current computer knowledge is from the 90's. Thanks for the help.

DBII

Good work H ! Those are the same pics I've been looking for, without success! (must tidy the piles of magazines in my house!)
They've reminded me of two things.
1) Some of the Spits had six-stack exhausts - beware! 'Normal' Spit V's, and the kits, have three stack exhausts.
2) The kill marking shown on '4Q' was not gained by the unit, it was a left over from previous RAF use.

The article was in Flypast's D-Day 60th Anniversary special.

I have photos of my bird but cannot post them. The cockpit is donewings and the are assembled. Here is my latest story. I picked up a computer from my employer in Dec. It is much better than my current one, running on windows XP instead of Windows 98 but no dvd drive. I picked up a drive and no cables. Great. Then I found the USB port and thought I would give that a try. Harrison told me about the card reader and I picked up one thinking I was ready to go. Wrong again. I hooked up my new CPU and did not have a username and password to get it running. I get to work on Monday and was able to get the codes from the IS people. Tuesday morning, it log on and a window opens up saying that there are missing files and Window XP needs to be reinstalled. So now I am waiting for a operating system. I miss the days of DOS and machine codes. See Hman it is never easy.

A little more on VCS-7. There was a total of 17 USN pilots. I have founf the names of 10. There were a total of 40 mechanics that were assigned to the birds. I have along the names of 5. I have the OOB for the Spotter Pool and will post them later.

Still a plane tease,
DBII

Thanks Anroni, thst's narrowed down the date! Knew it was an issue of 'Fly Past', just can't find the little blighter!!

No, it is not in Flypast. It si in a special magazine produced by Flypast, cllassic aircraft series no 18.

Thanks again Antoni. It'll be in my remaining pile of 'Fly Past' issues and specials somewhere. I recently had a bit of a 'tidy up' and re-location of furntiture, and now things are spread in different areas of the spare room! Good job I haven't still got FP from issue Number One - that pile was massive!!!

Here are my first digital pic. I have not gotten the hang of the camera yet so these are not the best pictures. I painted the inside of the wheel wells and it looks a to dark for light sea grey? Not to bad for 1/72.

DBII

Attachments

• GB 001.jpg
    GB 001.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 117
  • GB 006.jpg
    GB 006.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 135
  • GB 002.jpg
    GB 002.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 132
  • GB 004.jpg
    GB 004.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 134
  • GB 009.jpg
    GB 009.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 128
  • GB 007.jpg
    GB 007.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 134
  • GB 013.jpg
    GB 013.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 132
  • GB 018.jpg
    GB 018.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 136
  • GB 015.jpg
    GB 015.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 126
  • GB 016.jpg
    GB 016.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 130
  • GB 008.jpg
    GB 008.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 114
Looking good so far. You're right about the wheel wells, they do look dark. They should be Medium Sea Grey, the same colour as the undersides, which is fairly close to the colour of the plastic in the kit.
It's a bit late now, but all that stuff behind the seat bulkhead shouldn't be there - it didn't exist. The area was open, except for the oxygen bottles, with the Bowden cable from the seat harness running down the fuselage to an anchor in the top, at mid point. The radio was on a rack on the port side, where the hatch should be visible, and the battery on the rear starboard, where the other hatch is.

I thought the paint was to dark. I have something that will work better. I am glad I did not paint the underside with it. To bad about insides not being correct. I will try to have clear shots next time. I have removed the seams and added the wing tips since I took the photos. I hope to start the painting next week. This is a fast build. Thanks for the feed back.

DBII

You're welcome D. If possible, see if you can remove the stuff mentioned. If not, well, it won't really be seen much, especially if the canopy is open. BTW, that wheel well colour looks like Ocean Grey on my monitor, the colour for the topside camouflage.

I picked it up for the build. It is labeled light sea grey. I think it was labled incorrectly. The canopy is closed. Behind the seat is listed as a voltage regulator. Everyting behind the seat is one part. I may be able to pop it out. I am working outof town over the weekend. I will see what I can do next week. I will try and sneak in a visit to the Cold War Air Museum Saturday.

Cold War Air Museum - ColdWarAirMuseum

DBII

Users who are viewing this thread

Back