What use did these 2 parts have?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

João Yazalde

Airman
Apr 25, 2022
I always see them on different Allied and Axis planes, but I don't know what use they had.
A+ Gallery_1.jpg

Ah, now that they're talking about Flyboy, there's a movie called Flyboys. In that movie, some Americans volunteer in France during the first world war and their planes have that Indian head painted, why was it painted again on this p-36 Hawk?

Last edited:
why was it painted again on this p-36 Hawk?

The "Indian head" became the emblem of the oldest USAF unit - the 94th Pursuit Squadron organized in 1917. The squadron fought in France on the Western Front during the WW1. In 1924 it was consolidated with the 103d Aero Squadron (Pursuit). that was largely composed of former members of the French Air Service Lafayette Escadrille (from the French Escadrille 124 "La Fayette"). This was a squadron of American volunteer pilots who had joined the French Air Service prior to the United States entry into the war on 6 April 1917.

In France there was established the Groupe de Chasse II/5 La Fayette (GC II/5) in 1933 that inherited the traditions of the Lafayette Escadrille . In May 1939 it was renemed with the GC II/4 marking and returned to the GC II/5 one in 1943. The unit got the "Indian Head" emblem as the squadron sign. In 1940 the squadron fought against the German LW being equipped with the Curtiss H-75 fighters. The aircraft of the unit were painted with the same insignia depicting the "Chief Sitting Bull" chosen by the American volunteers of the Lafayette Escadrille during the First World War. In 1942 and 1943, Curtiss P-40 Warhawks were transferred to the Groupe de Chasse II/5. These wore the emblem as well.

Actually the 94th squadron emblem wasn't painted on the engine cowling but it was on the fuselage behind the cockpit applied. So the work seen in the first post seems to be a little bit of the artistic licence.

P-36.jpg

the source: 1930s Selfridge Field USAAC Curtiss P-36 94th Pursuit Squadron Airplanes Photo | #1809778005

P36 Curtiss Hawk 75.jpg

the source: Brewster buffalo Vs Curtiss P-36, Which one was better for defending Burma?

The GC II/5 ( GC II/4 ) Curtiss Hawk 75 ...

II_5 hawk.jpg

the source: Jeff05-Groupe de Chasse GC II/5 -Escadron de Chasse EC II/4 Lafayette (1916 - Nowadays) : A short story

II_5 hawk_.jpg

the source: bataille de France en 39-45 ::: http://fandavion.free.fr

The GC II/5 P-40 Warhawks ...

P-40 GC II_5 1942_43.jpg

the source: P-40 du Lafayette : les avions

I did not know that France used p-36. I used to think that everything related to the squad disappeared after the war. Thank you.

I did not know that France used p-36. I used to think that everything related to the squad disappeared after the war. Thank you.
Many nations used the Curtiss Hawk 75 (the official designation of that aircraft model), only the US Army designated it a "P-36".

The Hawk 75 was operated by China, Finland, the Netherlands, India and others.

The RAF and Indian Air Force designated them "Mohawk".

I also have a question about a camouflage of a Hawk 75 with a fixed landing gear, but I think I should go to the camouflage section, thanks.

I also have a question about a camouflage of a Hawk 75 with a fixed landing gear, but I think I should go to the camouflage section, thanks.
The production models of Hawk 75 that had fixed landing gear, were:
Model 75H and Model 75M (for China).
Model 75O (the letter "O", not zero) for Argentina.
Model 75N for Thailand (called Siam at the time).

Ok, so now that you mention it, this is camouflage, why is the underside a lighter color than the rest of the fuselage?
Hawk 75.PNG

I would say that the author of the rendition used the three tone camouflage ( two colours at the top and one for the undersides ) what is nothing strange for WW2 period and slightly before it. Many countries used the so-called "sky" colour for undersides. Some of them just were the light grey paints or grey of different bluish tones. The "sky" paint could also be light blue colour of many different tinges. All countries had their own camo scheme for planes that helped to hide their aircraft against the enemy.

If you look closely at most aircraft of that era (from any nation), you'll find that the underside were pained a light color (usually a form of light blue or gray) which allowed the aircraft to be hard to see from the ground or at altitudes below where it was flying.

The upper surfaces were painted to match the terrain where they wete operating, so as to be difficult to be seen by an enemy above them.

For Allied and Axis aircraft top camouflage in North Africa, their colors were more of a sandy color, some like the Italian fighters, even mimicked stones and shading of the desert floor, but virtually all had a light underside color which made them difficult to spot from below.

There were Finnish Hawk 75s that flew for the axis with Swastikas painted on them.

No wonder .The Blue Swastika was the national insignia used by the Finnish Air Force from the 18th of March 1918. So it had been a long time before the Axis treaty was signed.

Latvia and Finland both had a "Swastika" as their national insignia long before Germany (Finland was blue, Latvia was red) and as a reminder, the Luftwaffe used the Balkan Cross as their national insignia.
The Nazi Hakenkreuz typically found on the tail of Luftwaffe aircraft, started in the 1930's as a propeganda tool as Germany was rebuilding it's military (aircraft were seen as ultra modern might) and it remained to war's end.

No connection between Latvia/Finland and the Nazis at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back