B-24 Liberator Diorama - 1/48th Scale.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'm a bit behind schedule at the moment, not having got any work done over the weekend due to domestic stuff etc.
But I'm hoping to get more done this evening, starting with the flexible ammo feeds for the waist guns.
Back soon(ish) ......................

The rear section of the starboard fuselage is now complete, although the guns will not be installed until the very end of the build.

Two more oxygen tanks have been installed, and the flexible ammo feed chute for the starboard gun, and the bulkhead is painted and fitted.
The blanked-off ball turret housing insert has also been painted, and will be fitted once the fuselage halves have been joined.

The flexible ammo feeds are vinyl items, from MDC (Model Design Construction), and conformed much better than I at first anticipated. These were cut to the required length, and then painted with Revell No. 90 Silver, to represent the bright metal finish of the real flexi-feeds.
I debated for some time whether or not to depict the feeds loaded with .50 cal rounds, but in the end, they were painted to represent empty chutes, for the reasons described below.

The B-24 (and B-17), when parked, did not have "live" guns left on board. What is seen in most WW2 photos are the gun bodies, as the barrel and working parts assemblies were withdrawn from the receivers after each mission, inspected, cleaned and oiled by the gunners, and then handed in to the armoury.
(Look closely at period photos / film footage, and you'll see that the barrel jackets are empty, with no barrel visible through the cooling holes, and no muzzle showing at the end of the barrel. Other photos / footage often show the gunners carrying the internal parts to the aircraft).
When preparing for a mission, the armourers would normally install the turret guns, and load the ammo tanks / chutes for the turret guns, with the guns themselves being charged by the respective gunner.
However, it was normally the waist gunners who would re-fit the waist guns with the barrel/working parts assemblies, often at the time of boarding the aircraft for the mission and, in many cases, they would also load the ammo tanks and feed chutes themselves, although different Bomb Groups may have had slightly different operating procedures.
The flexible feed chutes were only attached to the guns when ready to depart, or when safely over the North Sea assembly point, depending on the SOP of a particular unit.
The diorama will show a ground crew member preparing boxes of .50 call ammo, ready to load on board the aircraft, and therefore, allowing for the above description, the vinyl feed chutes have been painted to look empty.
The chutes are not yet fixed at the gun end of each chute, and the final position will be decided upon once the model is completed, depending on whether or not the guns can be fitted easily from outside, and the feed chutes arranged appropriately.
If this proves too difficult, then the waist guns will be depicted on top of a crate on the hardstand, ready for final inspection and installation.

I hope to complete the port side rear section within the next couple of days, and then move forward to the radio room, cockpit and navigator/bombardier compartment.
Pics below show the latest progress, and thanks once again for following this project.

B-24 Diorama 563.JPG
B-24 Diorama 564.JPG
B-24 Diorama 565.JPG
B-24 Diorama 566.JPG
B-24 Diorama 567.JPG
B-24 Diorama 569.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back