CF-5A Freedom Fighter Kitbashed 1/48 Monogram F-5E

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Before gluing the fuselage halves together, it was important to mark the location of the engines' auxilliary air intakes which were omitted from the model. I wanted to pose these open as can be seen in this photo (arrow).

Delete.jpg

First, using my reference photos and scale drawings sent by Terry and Vic (thanks guys!) I marked the outlines for the openings with Tamiya tape.

100818 Intake Marked.jpg

Next, using a drill and X-acto blade, I rough cut the openings. Difficult to see in the photo below but note the thickness of the plastic at the bottom of the cut. It's a good 1 to 2 mm thick!

100818 Intake Rough Cut.jpg

After filing and straightening the edges, the plastic was removed around the edges on the inside with my Dremel tool with ball shaped cutter bit to create a sharp edge:

100818 Intake Thinning.jpg

The finished edge is seen below ready for a light sand.

100818 Intake Cut out and clean.jpg

Next will be boxing the openings in and painting the inside of the boxes black so you can't see through. This work is being done as I take breaks from the fiddley canopy mechanism. Update pics on this area soon.

Thanks for looking in.

Nice work Andy. I did that on the Esci kit, then accidentally picked up the model holding that area - guess what happened ! I think my first word was %$£* !!!!

MORE STUFF

More work progressed behind the seat. The built up area in the shot below has about half of the scratch built details done. More pivot arms and brackets have yet to be intalled. The photo below that shows the complexity of the arrangment I'm trying to capture.

100820 Cockpit.jpg

f-5e_74-1558_bhnd_seat_02_of_37.jpg

With the auxilliary engine intakes cut out and boxed in, and the major parts of the cockpit detailing done and painted, I decided it was time to glue the fuselage halves together. The 3 glasses of wine beforehand no doubt helped with making that a quick decision! Below shows the Testors/Italeri fuselage glued together and the cut off nose of the Monogram kit next to it. The latter will be used on the model so I didn't bother gluing the nose on the halves I'm going to chuck out. The decision to use the Monogram nose was based on the nice cannons and the detailed wheel well, vs the crap provided with the Testors kit.

100820 Nose Comparisons.jpg

Here is the nose cut off and plastic card reinforcing/locating strips attached.

100820 Nose Ready for Glue.jpg

Several dry fits and checks against a straight edge were done to ensure the mating faces were aligned and perpendicular. Once satisfied, I proceeded to glue the new nose piece on. The shapes of the different pieces were surprisingly close and, despite what appears to be a lot of putty, should feather together nicely.

100820 New Nose On.jpg

The above assembly will be allowed to fully cure over night. Sanding and scribing of the fuselage will be one of the main focuses oer the weekend, along with continuation of the canopy mechanism details. You'll no doubt see more progress photos tomorrow, unless I get hit by a bus.

Last edited:
Excellent work Andy!!!:notworthy: I've been absent minded and forgot this build for some unknown reason, sorry. This is looking great and your modifications are great sir.:thumbright: :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back