GB-62 1/48 Spitfire Mk.I - Spitfires (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

For Vallejo, I have read over at Britmodeller that this is almost bang on. My Model Air was too dark but it may have been the older version. I use Mr Hobby Aqueous now for Dark Earth. What I go for now is, close is good enough. Once you weather it, it won't matter how accurate it was

Interesting. It is a bit browner! Since I don't need anymore kits I will hold off on ordering this or the Mr.H equivalent. I'll try a drop of white in the 323 and see if it brings it to this closer shade? Vallejo colors play nice together so mixing is not an issue.

Regarding the undersides colour .. the Duck Egg Blue name is actually reffering to the colour known as the Sky one officially. The problem is of what tone it was. The DEB colour was going to be used for the time the RAF was switching from the B&W undersides to the Sky coat. Nobody knew what tinge it should have had. So the AM sent a signal where the tone was said to be of the duck egg bluish green. If you have a look at the pic below you may notice its of the blue tone rather than the green. For getting of the greenish tinge it was needed to add to the basic colour some of the yellow. According to my notes it was about a 4% addition. Because there was the shortage of the colour, there could appear own mixes made by the maintenance units. A a result there could be paints of the different tones. I mean the lighter or darker and bluish or greenish-yellowish because the coat could be made by mixing the white and the insignia blue basicly. But it was still the same paint we know as the Duck Egg Blue, Duck Egg Green or Sky or Sky S type.

View attachment 776805
This is kind of what I was reading in the various posts that I found; the DEB was an early transition from the B/W scheme, but soon gotten under control later in the 40's to fix to the Sky S color. Tamiya does have a call out for their XF-21 on their color sheet and when compared to the DEG, 71.009, it is fairly close. It then comes down to just when this particular S/N was build/converted? If in the early period, then it seems that the DEG would be most appropriate. Don't want to start a food fight here, but....has Tamiya EVER been wrong?:rolleyes:

color for underside.jpg

IMHO Geo's advice is a good one. The Tamiya colour is too greenish. I have somewhere a link to a site with some interesting ideas. But now I have to leave for some of time at the moment and can't find it. I do that when get back.

This from the Kotare 1/32 of the same subject. I did not shrink them on purpose as to give you full access to the files. I was thinking of doing this one myself...

Attachments

• img20240503_12313022.jpg
    img20240503_12313022.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 5
  • img20240503_12331962.jpg
    img20240503_12331962.jpg
    7.4 MB · Views: 6
  • img20240503_12352227.jpg
    img20240503_12352227.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 6
Interesting the call out for Dark Earth. I know of the mix of Flat Earth and Red Brown but the new Red Brown, XF-90, is a totally different animal. Curious if anyone has tried this in a mix

1714759374234.png

Go with your gut Ralph. Note that the call out for Sky in the link says to use Tamiya XF-21 but that is closer to Eau de nil. This is against the chip in one of the books I sent you and even with computer differences, the difference is there

1714762280954.png

Here are shots of my old models of the early type Spits I built years ago. Both were painted with the Humbrol authentic paint series that were said to match the colours. The left one is the Sky type S and the right one , the Duck Egg Blue.

spit1-jpg.jpg

Sky type S
spit2-jpg.jpg

Duck Egg Blue
spit3-jpg.jpg

Yes. In the first pic the slightly greenish tinge of the paint for the left model and the bluish one for the right Spit can be seen. But when got it close up the difference isn't noticable actually.

Rummaging through my paints, I noticed that Tamiya XF-14 is closer to Sky than XF-21 which is darker than shown in this photo

IMG_0003.JPG

.....and having said that, neither really match my Sky decal letters which I'll be using; each is very close

Last edited:
Yes. But you have to remember that the colours are like would be for the oginal plane but not for a model. So if you take the scale effect into consideration some of white should be added though.

Ok!, I have to wonder on the sanity of this design! (Thanks for the heads up Andy) Done to increase the parts count? Done to challenge and or eliminate those that are not adapt at handling rice sized pieces? It sure appears, at this scale anyway, that these details for the exhaust could have been molded as one piece? The attempt at the 'open' areas was dismal at best anyway. I'll have to go back, after the glue has hardened, and carve out a few slivers to achieve this.

Exhaust pieces.jpg
Exhaust inst.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back