B-17-crew
Where did this photograph come from? I certainly would like to ascertain the film stock it was taken on! It is NOT Kodachrome, maybe Anscochrome, I doubt it is a colour print film as the grain structure does not look right. BEAUTIFUL in any event!

Thermic_Trio Thermic_Trio
As far as i can find out, that pic was taken somewhere in England prior to a bombing raid on 13th April 1944. The diary of Harley Tuck, a radio operator/gunner on a B-17 tells a story that would be familiar to many at the time:
April 13
The C.Q. came in at 5:45 AM for a mission. Briefing at 7, T.O. at 7:55 for Augsburg Germany. English coast out 12:12 at 20000 ft. A few flak bursts by Brussels Belgium, no more until target. The target was a Mess. factory and airport. We were carrying 42 inc, 20 dropped at IP because Wiggie pulled a boner.

We were within sight of Switzerland on the other side of Lake Constance a few minutes before IP. The Alps were covered with snow, very rugged + beautiful. At the target the flak was very heavy + accurate; holes in both wings + vertical stabilizer. We flew lead, of low sq. in a composite group. The 94th lead, 385 high. Very good navigation, missed most flak areas. No flak to speak of on the way back. IP at 1355 – bombs away – 1408, enemy coast out 1632.

The group lost 5 ships, 4 went to Switz, 1 crash landed in S. England, killing 4 crew members. Landed 1720 B 1025

Media information

Category
Color Photos
Added by
johnbr
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media

Back