Ar 234 landing
Personally not, I don't. But try to check on it using the Google.
ar-234-usaaf-captured.jpg

I searched and only found "Jane I" only

Last edited by a moderator:
Both of them were captured by the RAF in the Sola airfield in Norway. Both were handed over to the USA for trials.
Flown via Grove, Melun to Cherburg where these were embarked on the HMS Reaper and sent to the USA. Both were scrapped in 50'.
The "Jane I" was Bu.Aer.No. 121445, aircraft no.11, USAAF no. 202. The "Snafu I" was Bu.Aer.No.121446, aircraft no.13, USAAF no. 303.

Both of them were captured by the RAF in the Sola airfield in Norway. Both were handed over to the USA for trials.
Flown via Grove, Melun to Cherburg where these were embarked on the HMS Reaper and sent to the USA. Both were scrapped in 50'.
The "Jane I" was Bu.Aer.No. 121445, aircraft no.11, USAAF no. 202. The "Snafu I" was Bu.Aer.No.121446, aircraft no.13, USAAF no. 303.
Did the Americans apply paint over the old one? Or was it first removed and then a new one was applied, adding American markings?

What German tail number did they have before the capture at Sola airfield?

And what color was the Snafu I plane covered in?

Last edited by a moderator:
So what about my questions? Or do you not know the answer?

The Arados sent to the USA were : Werk Nummer 140148, 143011 and 140312 from III./KG 76, and 140343 from II./KG 76.

The "Snafu I" is assiociated with the Werk Nummer 140148 while the "Jane I" with the Werk Nummer 140343 usually. But you may find the serials swapped. It means that even Amercans don't know which one should be give to each of the planes. The same with the orginal Luftwaffe codes. According to the list of known Ar 234s the 140148 had the Stammkennzeichen SM+FH and belonged to the III./KG76 and its 9th Staffel propably. The 140343 had the Stammkennzeichen NM+BQ and belonged to the 6th Staffel of the II./KG76.

Regarding the camo for the planes. Initially these seem to wear the orginal German ones with the USA markings and additional numbering. Later their "uniforms" were refreshed. In the pic with them both it may be noticed that the camo looks very fresh. Also it can be found that the tail tips got the lighter colour together with the thin strip on the periscopes. As you may remind yourself the F1+GS restored and exibited in the museum hadn't have the orginal camo before the Smithsonian Institute got it and started the restoration. The old colours had been stripped off earlier and the new paint was applied then. I think the same was done to the both planes. All sources say that the new colours applied were the Olive Drab ( Olive Green ) on the sides and tops and the Neatral Grey on the undersides.

The Arados sent to the USA were : Werk Nummer 140148, 143011 and 140312 from III./KG 76, and 140343 from II./KG 76.

The "Snafu I" is assiociated with the Werk Nummer 140148 while the "Jane I" with the Werk Nummer 140343 usually. But you may find the serials swapped. It means that even Amercans don't know which one should be give to each of the planes. The same with the orginal Luftwaffe codes. According to the list of known Ar 234s the 140148 had the Stammkennzeichen SM+FH and belonged to the III./KG76 and its 9th Staffel propably. The 140343 had the Stammkennzeichen NM+BQ and belonged to the 6th Staffel of the II./KG76.

Regarding the camo for the planes. Initially these seem to wear the orginal German ones with the USA markings and additional numbering. Later their "uniforms" were refreshed. In the pic with them both it may be noticed that the camo looks very fresh. Also it can be found that the tail tips got the lighter colour together with the thin strip on the periscopes. As you may remind yourself the F1+GS restored and exibited in the museum hadn't have the orginal camo before the Smithsonian Institute got it and started the restoration. The old colours had been stripped off earlier and the new paint was applied then. I think the same was done to the both planes. All sources say that the new colours applied were the Olive Drab ( Olive Green ) on the sides and tops and the Neatral Grey on the undersides.
SM+FH? Was "SM" small like F1 or 4U or large? How's FH?

SM+FH? Was "SM" small like F1 or 4U or large? How's FH?

The Stammkennzeichen marking was the four-letter code applied with the black colour with all the letter of the same size.

Here is the example of the Stammkennzeichen for Bf 109 ...

Messerschmitt-Bf-109F0-Stammkennzeichen-PH+BE-WNr-6631-02.jpg

Media information

Category
Unsorted
Added by
Administrator
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media