11-8-44 Hamilton Standard Propeller

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ggreenman

Recruit
Nov 15, 2020
I have a what I believe to be 2 WWII Hamilton Standard Propeller blades. The written stamp on the blade is:

DWG 6135A-16
A.C.R. -41-45030
MATED. TO
MFG. R-225164
11-8-44

Can anyone shed some light on what plane(s) these blades might have been used on?

Thanks
Greg

The 6135A blades are from a 2B20 series propeller, which is for the lower HP engines using a size 20 propeller shaft. the 6135A blade series has a basic nominal diameter of 9 feet, so these blades would have been about 7 feet 8 inches. There is a document in the forums that has the USAAF propellers, Here is the link to document, it is not my document.
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0..._Governors_for_Service_Aircraft_1945_wwii.pdf

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, The information stenciled on each propeller seems to indicate that they are Hamilton Standard propeller blades, but to be honest I'm not really sure that they are. On the Hamilton Standard site I did find a reference that the "6135A-16" was used on a C-87, but again not sure how accurate that assumption is. Thanks for the information that your provided and any other that you know of or find would be appreciated.

Greg

Attached are a couple of pictures......might help in identifying.
102_1459.JPG
102_1460.JPG

By looking at your pictures, those two blades were mated together, they are individual blades. I suspect that they were probably either 6135A-9 or 6135-15 blades when new. The propeller model that they are used in is the Hamilton Standard 2B20 series, which were used on basic trainers, like AT8, AT9, AT10, AT17, UC-78, which being tail draggers, did have a high incidence of ground looping on landing when the new inexperienced pilots were training. So if one blade of the two damaged beyond limits then need to remove the damage to the blade and then cut the diameter down, the procedure is to remark the dash number for every inch that is removed from the propeller diameter.

By looking at your pictures, those two blades were mated together, they are individual blades. I suspect that they were probably either 6135A-9 or 6135-15 blades when new. The propeller model that they are used in is the Hamilton Standard 2B20 series, which were used on basic trainers, like AT8, AT9, AT10, AT17, UC-78, which being tail draggers, did have a high incidence of ground looping on landing when the new inexperienced pilots were training. So if one blade of the two damaged beyond limits then need to remove the damage to the blade and then cut the diameter down, the procedure is to remark the dash number for every inch that is removed from the propeller diameter.
On a different note : Anyone know what the "A.C.R." refers to?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back