150 octane fuel in US Air forces besides 8th Air Force? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Starly

Recruit
Jan 27, 2023
I was able to find information that 8th Air Force started widely issuing 150 octane fuel since summer 1944 for the 8th Air Force in WW2. Increasing manifold pressure for P-47s, P-51s and P-38s.
However I couldn't find any information about the other US Air forces like 3rd or 9th for example. I've seen someone saying that 9th Air Force did not use 150 octane fuel but I don't know If that's true or not.

1. Did any other US air force use 150 octane fuel besides 8th?
2. If not, why?

Last edited:
Remember that in the '30s when he took a break from his Army Aviation career, James Doolittle was employed by Royal Dutch Shell, and successfully encouraged them to develop the high octane refining processes that became a big factor in Allied air superiority.

I was able to find information that 8th Air Force started widely issuing 150 octane fuel since summer 1944 for the 8th Air Force in WW2. Increasing manifold pressure for P-47s, P-51s and P-38s.
However I couldn't find any information about the other US Air forces like 3rd or 9th for example. I've seen someone saying that 9th Air Force did not use 150 octane fuel but I don't know If that's true or not.

1. Did any other US air force use 150 octane fuel besides 8th?
2. If not, why?

To my knowledge, no other US Air Force other than the 8th used 100/150 grade fuel, however, Major James B. Tapp of the 78th FS, 15th Group on Iwo Jima wrote: "The Command had begun using the 115/145 Octane leaded gasoline." 7th Fighter Command History

As to the constraints see http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/150grade/supplymemo-11july44.pdf

The RAF used it at home with ADGB and on the continent with the 2nd TAF. See: 150 Grade Fuel

To my knowledge, no other US Air Force other than the 8th used 100/150 grade fuel, however, Major James B. Tapp of the 78th FS, 15th Group on Iwo Jima wrote: "The Command had begun using the 115/145 Octane leaded gasoline." 7th Fighter Command History

As to the constraints see http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/150grade/supplymemo-11july44.pdf

The RAF used it at home with ADGB and on the continent with the 2nd TAF. See: 150 Grade Fuel
That's interesting. Wish I could find some information on the performance with 115/145 octane fuel.
So to my understanding basically all US air forces in Europe besides 8th used 100/130 octane fuel.

Do you know by any chance how big was 8th air force compared to the others? I believed for quite a long time that almost all US planes after summer of 1944 ran on 150 octane fuel. Now I see that's wrong and I'd like to have an idea how many US fighters actually ran on 150 octane fuel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back