153 Maintenance Unit

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

riscaboy

Recruit
Jul 21, 2021
I'm researching a local man, Louden Lewis, 964876, who died as a POW in Sumatra in 1945. He served in 153 Maintenance Unit which I understand was an Engine Repair Depot.
Can you tell me what aircraft he would have worked on please? His great nephew wants a memorial bench to him and would like to have the correct information.
Regards Steve

IMHO , it depends on when he became the POW. If it was in 1941 or 1942 the possible planes are: Brewster Buffalo B-399E, Bristol Blenheim I and IV light bombers , Lockheed Hudsons, Vickers Vildebeest torpedo bombers, Fairey Albacore . More precisely it could be found knowing the squadrons based on the North Malaya.

153mu.jpg

the source: https://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/UN/UK/LondonGazette/38216.pdf page no.5

Thank you Wurger

He was captured on March 8th 1942 by the Japanese at Singapore, Louden was held in Java POW Camp. On June 27th 1944 he was among 1260 prisoners who were taken aboard the NN Maru 6 at the port of Batavia in Java. Taken to Malakka in Singapore, arriving on July 1st, they were then taken to Changi Camp.

He was later moved to Sumatra (Railway) POW Camp and forced to work on the Sumatra Railway.

Louden died on June 21st 1945 at Camp No. 3, Koebang, Sumatra from dysentery, intestinal haemorrhage and malaria.

1942 ... after the Battle of Singapore. So that's the time period I guessed. As I mentioned it above you have to find the numbers of squadrons at the North Malaya and the planes these were equipped with. Please read the PDF file I linked above. It may help.

That's great thanks. I'll download the pdf later and read through. Much appreciated.

The primary aircraft types in Far East Command at that time would include:

Brewster Buffalo
Lockheed Hudson
CAC Wirraway
Bristol Blenheim (MkI and MkIV)
Bristol Beaufort (temporarily and short-lived)
Vickers Vildebeest
Consolidated Catalina
Blackburn Shark
Fairey Swordfish
Supermarine Walrus

Note that 153 MU would simply service the engines. They would not service the actual airframes. That latter work was done by 151 MU at Seletar.

At least part of the F540 (Operations Record Book) for 153 MU survives in the UK National Archives covering the period June-November 1941. The link below provides the reference number etc. Unfortunately it hasn't been digitized so the only way to access it is by an in-person visit. That said, IIRC it doesn't have much in the way of details - simply a record of the number of engines serviced each month.

I know this isn't much help but it's offered for what it's worth.

Kind regards,
Mark

Mark
That info is ideal. I did find the link at the National Archives but as you say, it hasn't been digitised yet. The details you have given, along with Wurger will help me out.
Regards
Steve

Mark
That info is ideal. I did find the link at the National Archives but as you say, it hasn't been digitised yet. The details you have given, along with Wurger will help me out.
Regards
Steve

You're welcome. The RAF did (and still does) 4 levels of maintenance. First line is at the squadron level, second line is at the station/main operating base, third level is at the depot, and fourth level is at the manufacturer. The MUs were depots to provide third level maintenance. For 153 MU, that means engines would be removed from the airframes, probably at the second line, and shipped to 153 MU for depot-level servicing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back