1941: top 3 aircraft engines

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

tomo pauk

Creator of Interesting Threads
Apr 3, 2008
By 1941, most of the 'major' countries have had in design phase the engines from 1500-2000 HP, while 1000-1500+ HP engines were in production and service.
What 3 engines (regardles of sub-types of one line of engines), in service, might be considered the best?

In service or in combat?

In June/July or in December?

In Dec of 1941 in service (but not in combat) from the US you have the R-2800 ( a front runner), The R-2600 (probably an also ran) the R-1830 (most produced aircraft engine ever has to count for something) and the favorite whipping boy of many, the V-1710 Allison.

Criteria for best are????
Best power for weight?
Best power to frontal area?
Longest time between overhauls.
Fewest breakdowns per 100 or 1000 hours of flight (not the same as above).
Easiest to service/keep running in the field?

You could add, "most economical" to achieve range. Makes it tricky, because then you would need to consider an engine like the Sakae. not really up there in terms of power, but really at the forefront from the fuel economy pov

I like a list made by a very knowledgable member of this forum, that should help us here. Basically:
1. power
3. as low weight (or small size) as possible
5. as small size (or low weight) as possible

Items 2 and 4 are 'reliability'. Consumption is a factor, but it really depends on engine power - we won't get the 1500 HP engine that will be frugal with fuel like it is a 1200 HP engine. Extra points for engines available at least 6 months in given year.

If i'm in right the R-2800 in '41 was a large 1850 hp engine with a very low rated altitude, so i'm not sure that is a top 3 engine.
Again i propose Merlin and DB 601, yes i like the fighter engines, and they are available for all the year

p.s. somebody can explain as start a new thread with this new interface, thanks

Last edited:
The R-2800 'A' gave some 1200 HP at 2600 rpm at 20000 ft, military power - some 100 HP more than BMW 801C on 2550 rpm (3 min rating). Both were heavy engines, the BMW was less bulky, with better exhaust stacks layout. R-2800 was more reliable and gave much more power under 15000 ft.
The Merlin XX is top contender, with favorable power at all altitudes, top marks for reliability, far less bulk and weight than radials, favorable consumption.
DB 601N is not as powerful as the Merlin XX, it's 1 or 3 minute max rating is lower than 5 min rating for Merlin XX. DB 601E is in race, but it was not allowed for Notleistung until Dec 1941? 601E can have gun through the prop, and can use low oct fuel, the consumption is a bit better than for the Merlin. I'd still rate the XX above the 601E, in this year.
How about Hercules? The Mk.IX does 1500 hp at 12000 ft (~1050 at 20000 ft), and 1575 at 500 ft. Not as good at altitude as Merlin or R-2800, but it is good engine under 15000 ft, and not that heavy and bulky as R-2800.

May bad - it is Mk.11, not Mk.9. The data sheet for the Beaufighter with Mk.11 Hercules is dated 6th Nov 1941.

p.s. somebody can explain as start a new thread with this new interface, thanks

There is sometimes a glitch/error, when only the thread's title is displayed. After few tries the error dissapears.

Hercules IX was available in 41? if yes on what aircrafts?
Not sure which version of the Hercules but Beaufighters were in service during the latter part of the Battle of Britain, ie from September 1940, with #25 Squadron, which was operating Blenheims at the time.
Steve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back