2019 Reno Air Races

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Strega & Voodoo

Geez, who would have thought an 'old' Vampire would be up there; that's a surprise.....
I was always more interested in the 'warbirds' and listening to the sounds of radials and V12's.

View attachment 552038

The jets do sound like a flushing toilet as they go by the grandstand, the only way you appreciate their sound if you're at one of the pylons where they have to fly low (used to be pylon 7). Aside from that, there's nothing like the sound of a radial or Merlin at high speed

For the first time, I'll try and catch the jet class. I just never gave it much thought when all I saw were L-39's before (no disrespects if you were an L39 airframe driver).

Strega & Voodoo

Geez, who would have thought an 'old' Vampire would be up there; that's a surprise.....
I was always more interested in the 'warbirds' and listening to the sounds of radials and V12's.

View attachment 552038
The record is held by an L-29 with a RR Viper engine. Such a combination must be registered as experimental, and is no longer legal in the jet class.

If one was available and accepted by Racing Jets Incorporated (the outfit that runs the jet class for the Reno Air Racing Association), I believe an L-159 would meet the race rules (no swept wings, no afterburner). There is still a hard 525 mph course limit. Exceed it once, you recieve no time for the qualification session or race that you're in. Exceed it twice, and you are DQed for the entire event.

For the first time, I'll try and catch the jet class. I just never gave it much thought when all I saw were L-39's before (no disrespects if you were an L39 airframe driver).
No - I was a crew chief - I stuffed the pilot in the barrel and shot him out of the cannon.

The jet class is mainly L39s, but there's a few L29s and this year a Vampire. At one time they allowed more aggressive modifications, that since ended.

No - I was a crew chief - I stuffed the pilot in the barrel and shot him out of the cannon.
The jet class is mainly L39s, but there's a few L29s and this year a Vampire. At one time they allowed more aggressive modifications, that since ended.

I see it's a two-seat Vampire (big flat windshield, though sloped, but with a wider cross-section that goes with it) a single seater might do better(?) .....for somebody willing to spend what is clearly big money to race at Reno)).

Last edited:
I live in Reno. I'm attending this year's events. If anyone wants a photo or short vid, l'll be visiting the pits today (Friday) as well. I'll see about providing a synapse of what's going on for everyone. No promises (just CyA'g).

I see it's a two-seat Vampire (big flat windshield, though sloped, but with a wider cross-section that goes with it) a single seater might do better(?) .....for somebody willing to spend what is clearly big money to race at Reno)).
you're correct but as you mentioned, it's a matter of availability and money. Despite that, the Vampire is doing great and I bet he's actually slowing down on parts of the course so he won't exceed the course "speed limit."

Users who are viewing this thread