87sqn Hurricane night fighter scheme (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

SirFrancis

Airman 1st Class
Feb 10, 2022
Hey guys, I'm doing a Hurricane IIc and want to do it in nightfighter all black. I have decals for LK-? and the kit camo instructions are dark green / dark sea grey upper, dark sea grey underside. I've seen various photos of 87sqn in camo upper/ black underside, and LK-A the same camo as well as overall black, with red spinner. Looks like they repainted them several times from black to camo n vice versa. So trying to find out if LK-? was all black at some point as well and what spinner colour. Any help much appreciated. Cheers.

LK-? (????)

Hurricane NF colours LK-A.jpg

from Wiki

I can not say if the current(?) restoration is accurate specifically for LK-A, but the general colours are for some of the NF Hurricanes.

You may be interested in the thread ...

LK-? (????)

View attachment 662366
from Wiki

I can not say if the current(?) restoration is accurate specifically for LK-A, but the general colours are for some of the NF Hurricanes.
Yes LK-A comes up a lot. It might be easier if I find a spare A decal rather than the LK-? I have. I think from memory it was PO Beamont's mount. Anyway I've also noticed the kit decals (hobbyboss) are white instead of light- med grey....so hmmm so much for accuracy either way...grrr

LK-? (????)

View attachment 662366
from Wiki

Yes that's the scheme I'm after, but hoping that LK-? was also all over black prior to 42 grey/green upper camo. So far I have only seen photos of LK-? in grey/green upper. Cheers

You may be interested in the thread ...

Yes thanks I did check that thread out...incredible knowledge on the subject, most impressed. Just still not sure if all 87 sqn a/c went through same process of all over black and then repainted green / grey uppers in 42. And specifically if LK-? was one of them...ok cheers
Francis

Actually if you have a close up look you may notice that the aircraft was repainted at some areas. For instance the tail. The serial number was moved back and can be found below the horizontal stabilizer while it should be in front of it. The fin at the fin flash area was also overpainted , perhaps in order to keep the correct size of the marking there. It looks like the rudder and the fuselage behind the wing trailing edge got the dark green camo spot later. Well the question is if the black undersides are the leftover of the overall black camo or not. IMHO the aircraft could be repainted from the black kite to the DG/OG on tops. It may be indicated by the fin flash and roundel type. The colour image of the LK-A dated on early 1942 shows the markings of the earlier type.

Hurricane-87-sqn LK-question mark_a.jpg

Hurricane-87-sqn LK-question mark_c.jpg

Hurricane_IIC_87_Sqn_RAF_in_flight_1942.jpg

the pic source: the net.

Actually if you have a close up look you may notice that the aircraft was repainted at some areas. For instance the tail. The serial number was moved back and can be found below the horizontal stabilizer while it should be in front of it. The fin at the fin flash area was also overpainted , perhaps in order to keep the correct size of the marking there. It looks like the rudder and the fuselage behind the wing trailing edge got the dark green camo spot later. Well the question is if the black undersides are the leftover of the overall black camo or not. IMHO the aircraft could be repainted from the black kite to the DG/OG on tops. It may be indicated by the fin flash and roundel type. The colour image of the LK-A dated on early 1942 shows the markings of the earlier type.

View attachment 662387
View attachment 662386

View attachment 662392
Thanks, yeah, I'm happy now with the all black plan for LK-? ... makes sense. I think I'll do the red spinner too...

Also I would like to make a focus on the serial below the horizontal stabilizer. It looks it is still of the red colour. The DG/OG camouflaged RAF planes had them of the black usually. The dull red was used for the night ( black painted ) aircraft mostly. So it could be the another clue it was the remnant of the black camo.

Hurricane-IIc-RAF-87Sqn-LK-Question-Nightingale.jpg

Additionally, while looking at the spinner of the LK-? ( also at the LK-R standing next to ) I grow more convinced that these were still of the dull red as well.

Hurricane-87-sqn LK-question mark_enlarged.jpg

View attachment 662387
View attachment 662386

View attachment 662392
Thanks, yeah, I'm happy now with the all black plan for LK-? ... makes sense. I think I'll do the red spinner too...
Also I would like to make a focus on the serial below the horizontal stabilizer. It looks it is still of the red colour. The DG/OG camouflaged RAF planes had them of the black usually. The dull red was used for the night ( black painted ) aircraft mostly. So it could be the another clue it was the remnant of the black camo.

View attachment 662437

Additionally, while looking at the spinner of the LK-? ( also at the LK-R standing next to ) I grow more convinced that these were still of the dull red as well.

View attachment 662449
I like your thinking...fits my plans perfectly...👍

My favorite scheme for a Hurricane. I have two Monogram kits with those decals.

View attachment 662785
Here it looks like the camo coat was 'thin' diluted so the black shows through. Looks cool, but me thinks if I tried that on the model it would just look like a crappy novice paint job...lol

When I tried to duplicate that paint scheme many years ago I found that semigloss paint, flat, and gloss mixed together, looked much better than either gloss or flat. Both flat and gloss tend to weather in the other direction. When I painted a T-28D in the colors of the 606th specials ops sqdrn I did the same thing.

That aircraft sadly no longer exists. In that scheme it used to be based at Breighton in Yorkshire, but following a restoration it was put into a day fighter scheme. It crashed at Shoreham in 2007. It used to come north to our airshows and lived in our hangar for a little while.

51966858017_0d79ddfe9d_b.jpg
G-HURR s

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back