A camo scheme for Kittyhwak IV of 250 RAF (Sudan) Squadron in Italy

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Adrian Parker

Recruit
Apr 2, 2018
New Zealand
Golly gosh, just read through the debacle over the last 3 or so pages. I hope my request does not meet with similar results because, as far as I can ascertain, there is very little on google (and similar) regarding my request. Here goes.
I am looking for the camo scheme for Kittyhwak IVs belonging to 250 RAF (Sudan) Squadron (Squadron code: LD - ) when they were based in Cervia, Italy in early 1945. I have seen one profile drawing of "Ghost" (LD - C, serial number FX781) which is a Olive Drab over Neutral Grey (attached pic) . It is; however, the only P-40 ref I have ever seen of 250 Sqn aircraft in this scheme (all others I have seen have standard RAF camo from N. African days). So was the scheme on LD - C the standard camo scheme in use in Italy for 250 Sqn?
The reason for my request is that I would like to build a 1/32 scale Kitty in which my wife's Great Uncle was killed. Details as follows: Lt. Bertram Bernard McLeroth (seconded from SAAF to 250 Sqn RAF), force number: 206907v. 22/04/45 - Shot down and killed by ground forces during a strike on River Po - flying Kittyhawk Mk IV ( P-40N-5-CU) serial # FX820. (Strike was to North of town of Ferrara on ferry landing sites). USAF Serial number was 43-23773 and went to RAF as Kittyhawk IV FX820.

FX781.jpg

I don't know how accurate their representation is but this may help you. You might contct the company to find what documentation they used.
Durafly Curtiss P-40N Warhawk 1100mm PNF Review - RC Groups
Great, thanks ever-so newst. The scheme all seems to revolve around this one aircraft (LD - C). Good suggestion to contact Durafly. I'm really unsure as to whether this is a scheme used in another theater (such as New Guinea) with an assortment of decals to choose as one desires, with one being that of 250 Sqn. Cheers mate.

Golly gosh, just read through the debacle over the last 3 or so pages. I hope my request does not meet with similar results because, as far as I can ascertain, there is very little on google (and similar) regarding my request. Here goes.
I am looking for the camo scheme for Kittyhwak IVs belonging to 250 RAF (Sudan) Squadron (Squadron code: LD - ) when they were based in Cervia, Italy in early 1945. I have seen one profile drawing of "Ghost" (LD - C, serial number FX781) which is a Olive Drab over Neutral Grey (attached pic) . It is; however, the only P-40 ref I have ever seen of 250 Sqn aircraft in this scheme (all others I have seen have standard RAF camo from N. African days). So was the scheme on LD - C the standard camo scheme in use in Italy for 250 Sqn?
The reason for my request is that I would like to build a 1/32 scale Kitty in which my wife's Great Uncle was killed. Details as follows: Lt. Bertram Bernard McLeroth (seconded from SAAF to 250 Sqn RAF), force number: 206907v. 22/04/45 - Shot down and killed by ground forces during a strike on River Po - flying Kittyhawk Mk IV ( P-40N-5-CU) serial # FX820. (Strike was to North of town of Ferrara on ferry landing sites). USAF Serial number was 43-23773 and went to RAF as Kittyhawk IV

DearAdrian, I'm Elena and I'm a historian of the planes crashed in Italy since the Second World War. I would like to get in touch with you. it's possible?
thank's, Elena

DearAdrian, I'm Elena and I'm a historian of the planes crashed in Italy since the Second World War. I would like to get in touch with you. it's possible?
thank's, Elena

Hello Elena, thank you so much for your message. I have already made contact with Enzo who tracked me down on Facebook. He has sent me his email address so I will get in contact soon and share the information I have with both of you. This is a project I have been interested in and doing research for many years now. Amongst info I have are the war diaries for this day, the crash landing site referenced to the wartime issue maps and a 1943 map on which I plotted the area he crashed - just North of the River Po. Many years ago I made contact with Romagna Air Finders that also did some work but it seemed to end without a final result. I expect to send something this weekend - I now live in NZ so a huge time difference between us. I am also extremely busy at work at the moment. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back